Stupid marketing slogans

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

Dave
Veteran

Stupid marketing slogans

Post by Dave »

Yesterday I was in an antiques mall that is located in an ex-Safeway, ex-Big Star in Midlothian, VA. Back in the day when Grand Union operated former Colonial Stores around here as Big Stars, they built a couple of new stores before they gave up on the market.

This store I was in still had a few remnants of the plastic faux stained glass flourescent light cover over the checkout stands that spelled out Grand Union/Big Star's slogan du jour - "Clean, Fresh & Good" (there are pictures of intact examples of this on the DCGrocery site).

I nominate "Clean, Fresh & Good" as pretty stupid. Isn't that waht you basically want any store to be at a minimum??
jamcool
Veteran

Post by jamcool »

The Safeway/Phoenix Div. slogan in the 70s-"Go For It!"
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

When Alpha Beta introduced the new green and yellow logo they put "fresh food" (in all lower case) on their signs. Fresh food, as opposed to what?

Smart & Final uses "That's Smart! (And Final!)" Duh.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

I loved "VONS IS VALUE" even though it was the most expensive of the chains around here.
wnetmacman
Veteran

I have one.......

Post by wnetmacman »

Winn Dixie: America's Supermarket (even though they barely covered 1/4 of the country....)
And their recent, failed slogan: Winn Dixie, The Real Deal. (That sunk like the Titanic.)
Scott Greer
Edric Floyd
Veteran

Post by Edric Floyd »

"Let's Go Krogering"

That slogan annoyed me years before I would ever live in an area where there was a Kroger store.
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

The stupidest I remember wasn't grocery related. It was a slogan for Kinney Shoe Stores: "We only sell the right shoe." That always made me think: No left shoes?
hypernick1980

Post by hypernick1980 »

I recall in the Mid 1980's Albertsons had a slogan that was "At Albertsons think Big"
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

I remember Albertsons "We think like you do" back in the later 80's.

On a side note to the "think big" I see such signage at Smiths advertising their "colossal" bakery and deli items (which are limited to roasted chicken, and some kind of chicken pot pies which are sold frozen).