Store Brand Products

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

APCO25
Contributor

Post by APCO25 »

Publix brand products are always covered in "cute" slogans and graphics. IMHO, they are typically 1/2 to 2/3 the price of the national brand, but of equivalent or better quality. I've been drinking "Dr Publix" (guess what name brand soda they're trying to imitate..) for a while since I tried it a few months ago (60 cents for a 2 liter bottle) and it is quite good, also, their lemon-lime "Sprite" clone is decent, actually prefer it to Sprite, has alot more fruit flavor than the "real thing".
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

danielh_512 wrote:I've talked about this in business classes, and you're right. It's all about creating brand loyalty (as are the loyalty cards), as well as a segmentation of the market to the cost-conscious consumer.
In business classes as well...we discussed that studies have shown that the higher socioeconomic classes purchase more of the store brands/generics than the lower socioeconomic classes. It was equated to the feeling the higher socioeconomic group felt the products are just as good as the national brand. Yet, the lower socioecomic group would buy the brand name...as they wouldn't want people to believe they could not afford the brand name, if they bought store brand/generic. This can be related to a recent LA TIMES article that said that some of the 99 Cent Only Chain's some of the busiest stores are high income areas of Los Angeles.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

The RALPHS ad this week launches:

A Brand New Way To Save!

Maximum Value
Minimum Price

RalphsValue

This is interesting that KROGER does not attempt to integrate a simple unified private label in all their stores. Seems like it would be a cost savings to have one (1) label. Yet, I am sure that they want to have a brand distinctive at each chain. So, is KrogerValue launching in Kroger stores?

Albertsons attempted to have a single store brand...for at least the drug/beauty-type items. EQUALINE. This brand was carried in Albertsons, as well as Sav-On. I noticed recently at BIG LOTS! A TON of EQUALINE-branded products. Obviously with the sale of Albertsons, and the free-standing drugstores becoming CVS...there must be an enormous amount of EQUALINE-branded products to liquidate.

LUCKY & SAV-ON carried OSCO brand for the longest time. The items ultimately transitioned to SAV-ON drug/beauty items, and LUCKY brand for food, general merchandise, etc.

LA TIMES had an article recently about SAFEWAY'S LifeStyle format. Discussed how the emphasis around the "perimeter area" of the store leads shoppers to store branded products, and also the deli/bakery areas. Stated the in-store deli/bakery areas as well as the store-branded products hold high profit margins for the chain.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

This is starting to move way out of the realm of history...
dooneyt63
Contributor

Re: Store Brand Products

Post by dooneyt63 »

While shopping in a C&S Food World store in Mary Esther, FL, today, I noticed the Best Yet Dishwasher Detergent also bore the name Bright. A number of years back (late 1970's), Kroger used Bright on bleach, detergent, and possibly some dishwashing and other products. Even old store brands never seem to completely die. This sub-branding has become very common with store brands...combining the master name with Pure Softness, Aloft, Supreme Clean, etc. It also harks back to the day when stores used multitudes of different store brands (like Winn Dixie).
MikeRa
Veteran

Re:

Post by MikeRa »

Dean wrote:The RALPHS ad this week launches:

A Brand New Way To Save!

Maximum Value
Minimum Price

RalphsValue

This is interesting that KROGER does not attempt to integrate a simple unified private label in all their stores. Seems like it would be a cost savings to have one (1) label. Yet, I am sure that they want to have a brand distinctive at each chain. So, is KrogerValue launching in Kroger stores?

Albertsons attempted to have a single store brand...for at least the drug/beauty-type items. EQUALINE. This brand was carried in Albertsons, as well as Sav-On. I noticed recently at BIG LOTS! A TON of EQUALINE-branded products. Obviously with the sale of Albertsons, and the free-standing drugstores becoming CVS...there must be an enormous amount of EQUALINE-branded products to liquidate.

LUCKY & SAV-ON carried OSCO brand for the longest time. The items ultimately transitioned to SAV-ON drug/beauty items, and LUCKY brand for food, general merchandise, etc.

LA TIMES had an article recently about SAFEWAY'S LifeStyle format. Discussed how the emphasis around the "perimeter area" of the store leads shoppers to store branded products, and also the deli/bakery areas. Stated the in-store deli/bakery areas as well as the store-branded products hold high profit margins for the chain.
Now, the "Equaline" is now carried at all SuperValu owned stores, replacing whatever private store drug/beauty brand it had, with the exception being "Save A Lot"

Acme Markets also carried the "Osco" brand drug/beauty items (which replaced the "Princess" brand) until it became "Sav-on/Osco by Albertsons" and then fianlly "Equaline".
Dean
Veteran

Re:

Post by Dean »

Dean wrote:The chains had their private label...that was to be cheaper. They even went a step further...and had the even cheaper private labeled products. Ralphs had PLAIN WRAP. It was a simple white background with a blue stipe. I actually have a coffee mug with this logo! VONS had SLIM PRICE (they still have some) which was/is a simple red price tag. Alpha Beta had ECONO BRAND which was a red band. LUCKY had simple brown packaging.
Noticed something on an old SLIM PRICE jar:

Distributed by Foods, Inc.
Box 3338
Los Angeles

Was Foods, Inc. actually VONS...or was this Foods, Inc. a solo private label company...a la Sunny Select or President's Choice?

Was the PO Box VONS'...or Foods, Inc.?