Pantry Pride: Is anyone familiar with this store Interior

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

werememberretail
Contributor

Post by werememberretail »

This is chiefly to all the Food Fair fans out there but anyone can chime on the matter and since they were in two distinct regions (the Northeast MidAtlantic and Florida) I placed it in this category In my discussion on a wealth of pictures I had discovered from the Temple University archives regarding Food Fair Pantry Pride and Penn Fruit in the Greater Philly area I came across this picture from Febuary 1979 after Pantry officialy ended operations there. This picture reveals a quite modern decor/set up for the time period. This in particular was a Penn Fruit store . I know that Pantry Pride was at last putting dollars into remodeling some stores throughout its chain after taking over Penn Fruit and Hills stores in 1976 (though it seemed too little too late as many remodels were in markets that it woul soon exit like Tampa) I wonder was this the decor package they used and if so was this used chain wide?
http://digital.library.temple.edu/cdm4/ ... OX=1&REC=5
Steve Landry
Veteran

Re: Pantry Pride: Is anyone familiar with this store Interio

Post by Steve Landry »

Yep………..pretty much.

:-)
The Food Fair Empire
werememberretail
Contributor

Post by werememberretail »

Steve Landry wrote:Yep………..pretty much.

:-)

Thanks Steve. The design seemed in tune with the time period (late 70s early 80s) and meshed well with the 1977-early 90s Pantry Pride logo and private label packaging In Philadelphia during the takeover of some of Penn Fruits best stores by Pantry Pride you had stores change banners some Pantry Prides beccame Penn Fruits and Vice Versa. for example the Penn Fruit in Levittown PA was taken over by Pantry Pride and took on the latter's banner, a Pantry Pride (opened as 1950's Food Fair) on PennyPack circle in Northeast Philadelphia did the opposite and was demolished and rebuilt under the Penn Fruit banner. As a result you also had Pantry Prides housed in obvious Penn Fruit buildings like this.
http://digital.library.temple.edu/cdm4/ ... OX=1&REC=6 This seemed like a last ditch attempt (as far as Philadelphia and maybe New York too )to get a huge remodel campaign started while Jack Friedland was still running things, they seemed to be waking up and moving back towards being a food retailer rather than a massive conglomerate financed by a food retailer but Acme, Shoprite and Pathmark (in Philadelphia and New Jersey) Pathmark and (pre-A&P) Waldbaum's in New York and slowly but surely Publix, Winn Dixie and the rest of the competish in Florida, among other areas where PP had presence were eating their lunch and they , after too many years of having their eyee off the ball in terms of food retail, began to (no pun intended) pay the price.
MikeRa
Veteran

Post by MikeRa »

werememberretail wrote: a Pantry Pride (opened as 1950's Food Fair) on PennyPack circle in Northeast Philadelphia did the opposite and was demolished and rebuilt under the Penn Fruit banner.
So it would make 3 supermarket buildings at Pennypack Circle: The Food Fair/Pantry Pride, the Penn Fruit by Pantry Pride/Acme Markets, and the current Acme Sav-on store.