Red and White

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

The Red & White does look like an A&P--the offset red & white "Super Market" sign is very A&P. The often used a fancier font, but it's not hard to imagine that the "Red & White" circle once said A&P (Outward facing signs wer unusual, tho) or it replaced a flush mounted metal circle with "A&P" in it.

The early 50s Kroger is a catch. Kroger was an early adopter of shopping centers (i.e., they took on the generic look of the late 40s/50s plazas where they went) and were quick to relocate from 40s/50s stores, so I'm guess there are few of them. The store in the picture is in the "downtown" of relatively prosperous inner ring suburb--there was no place for Kroger to decamp, although a competitor managed to assemble a large site with parking lot nearby--a store that also has lasted decades on different owners.
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

This is in Portola, CA. It used to be called Southside Market it something, but these signs came more recently. I see they are out of business now. I never got a chance to go inside when it had these red signs. I went in prior and it was the classic old line store with a small meat counter in back, dim lights, 3 long aisles. Image

A bit disappointed it was closed as I was looking forward to go in again.
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
buckhead
Contributor

Post by buckhead »

That Portola store offers a very attractive storefront. I did a Google search a few weeks back and noted several other Red & White store listing in California. Maybe some of them are still open. Also the name still seems to be in use in the Maritime Provinces of Canada as well.
Toby Radloff
Contributor

Post by Toby Radloff »

I know of 3 Red & Whites in OH...one is on Rt. 422 in Warren, another on Market Ave. in Youngstown, and one on a small neighborhood grocery on Detroit Avenue (Rt. 24) in Toledo...didn't get a closer look at the Toledo store since the building is in a rough part of town.
buckhead
Contributor

Re: Red and White

Post by buckhead »

I ran across a nice 1950's Red & White advertisement photo on Flickr recently at:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3165/305 ... 91d3_b.jpg

It references a series of ads that ran in Life Magazine. Note the flirtacious look of the cashier!