Items you bought at defunct supermarket chains that you still possess

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

Ohio Man
Contributor

Items you bought at defunct supermarket chains that you still possess

Post by Ohio Man »

Unless the chain in question closed very recently, I wouldn't expect anyone to list any food items. Here's one I can recall at the moment:

A good quality manual can opener I bought at a location of the Cincinnati-based Thriftway chain in the late 80's or early 90's. It set me back 5 or 6 bucks. It still works great.
TW-Upstate NY
Veteran

Re: Items you bought at defunct supermarket chains that you still possess

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

One that comes to mind is a plaid vinyl picnic cooler bag which my Mother bought at P+C Foods (Penn Traffic Co.) which I still have-still usable and not even a crack in the plastic that I can see. Probably dates from sometime in the 70's. And even though they're not defunct (at least in Canada), I also have a 1950's chest cooler which my Mother supposedly won at the grand opening of the Gloversville, NY Loblaws back in the early-mid '50's. My Father used it as a tool crib but it's still up in my barn dust and dirt and all. And yes, that's the very same Loblaws that stood vacant for over 40 years (with signage intact) until it was finally torn down in 2015.
TW-Upstate NY
Veteran

Re: Items you bought at defunct supermarket chains that you still possess

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

I didn't buy this but here's a promotional item I got at A+P in the 1970's: WEO Coin Bank
A+P WEO Bank.jpg