Chains Expanding Far From Their Home Turf

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

jamcool
Veteran

Post by jamcool »

Add to this...

Steinberg of Canada acquiring Smitty's in Arizona in the early 80s

Furr's expansion into Denver and Phoenix (which lasted only 5 years)
javelin
Veteran

Post by javelin »

Jewel's ill-fated entry into bag&box retailing, Jewel T in the '70s...all gone by about '82. The Sav-On/Osco rebranding fiasco in Southern California by the same company.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

Although not a supermarket example, ShopKo's lone store in California (Redding) is quite far from its Wisconsin home base...
Chris Sampang
wnetmacman
Veteran

Jewel T

Post by wnetmacman »

Actually, Jewel T lasted into the 90's. There were quite a few stores in Texas that survived until being bought out by Save-A-Lot, most of which still exist, although S-A-L has moved them to stores that could support meat markets.
Scott Greer
jamcool
Veteran

Post by jamcool »

Arizona was also the lone Western outpost of Revco Drug...they entered here by buying the locally-based Ryan-Evans Drug Stores

And we were the first market out west for Eckerd and CVS, yet Rite Aid is almost non-existant here (they have one lonely store in Sedona, formerly a Payless)
ms.lefty
Contributor

Post by ms.lefty »

For years, there was only one Food Lion in the state of Maryland, in Ocean City, I believe.
danielh_512
Veteran

Post by danielh_512 »

I could be wrong, but I believe the first Food Lions in Maryland were in Washington County and Hagerstown, where they just remodeled every store in that region.

Food Lion opened a store in Greensburg, PA as well as in Altoona, PA in attempt to enter Pittsburgh. The Greensburg store closed almost instantly, and the Altoona store made it for about 3-4 years.

Food Lion also has tried opening some stores in Southcentral PA, opening 1 in York, 1 in Hanover, 3 in Chambersburg, 1 in Waynesboro, 1 in Greencastle, and 1 in Carlisle. Now only 2 Chambersburg, the Waynesboro and Greencastle stores remain.
ms.lefty
Contributor

Post by ms.lefty »

danielh_512, how long have the two Food Lions in Hagerstown/Washington county been open? I remember my brothers talking about the Ocean City store 20 years ago.

The Food Lion website lists the store on Coastal Highway in OC as #246, and that there is another FL in OC, #397. The lowest-numbered FL in Hagerstown is #626. I'm assuming the numbers correspond with the age of the store, as FL #1 is in its home town of Salisbury, NC.

Off topic, my brother and his family lived in Belgium for six months and were surprised to see that FL's parent co. Delhaize uses the FL lion logo (using a different color scheme) for its stores.
jamcool
Veteran

Post by jamcool »

Actually the Food Lion logo is the Parent cos. logo (they are known in Europe as "Le Lion"
BillyGr
Veteran

Post by BillyGr »

ms.lefty wrote:Off topic, my brother and his family lived in Belgium for six months and were surprised to see that FL's parent co. Delhaize uses the FL lion logo (using a different color scheme) for its stores.
Actually, it's the other way around. When Delhaize got involved with Food Lion (which was Food Town at the time), they started using the logo that Delhaize had, and when they needed a new name, picked Food Lion (plus it was cheap - just bought L&i, shifted the o and left the n)!