Extinct Supermarket Merchandise

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

jamcool
Veteran

Re: Extinct Supermarket Merchandise

Post by jamcool »

Skaggs/Alpha Beta had their own private label liquor as well.
enginecapt
Contributor

Post by enginecapt »

Is Chateau Alberto still Albertson's house brand for alcoholic bev?
Help with Everyday Low Prices
drpep
Contributor

Post by drpep »

Say goodbye to P&R Pasta. It has been replaced with Ronzoni. The package has both the P&R and Ronzoni logos on it.
terryinokc
Contributor

Post by terryinokc »

Alpha Beta/Skaggs Alpha Beta carried a generic line called "EconoWise"...the label was white with red and black lettering. I remember canned goods, black pepper, and paper products were available....probably more items too.

How about wholesalers "controlled labels"....Allied supplied stores (K-Mart Foods, Humpty Dumpty, Ideal, Wrigley, Great Scott) carried the brands of Camelot (First Quality), Meadowdale (Second Tier), Mel-O-Crust (Bread) and their household products were called Squire. Fleming's were TV (True Value), Rainbow, Good Value, First Pik and in the Midwest, IGA brands. Probably TMI, but all my dad's relatives were older, and dipped snuff....every house I would go to visit as a kid.....there was an IGA peach can as a snuff can!

Scivner had their own brands before Fleming bought them out.....namely Bestyet. I guess Fleming got the name from Scrivner and C&S got the name from Fleming...anyway, it's been around a long time.

Topco also has had other names in their portfolio thru the years.....Food Club has been around for a long time...in earlier years, the stores that carried Food Club also had brands of Elna, Top Frost, Topco and Gayla (canned soda). Topco also had a "Food Club like " controlled line called Kingston..United Supermarkets here in Oklahoma carried that brand for a while.....think I also saw it at Red Food in Tennessee.

How about Staff? Several stores in the south used to carry that line of products...I know Brunos/Food World did in the 1980's.

Don't know if these are totally extinct or not....but haven't seen French's or Tone's spices in regular size cans or bottles....I know French's packets of chili mix and taco mix are available....but haven't seen the whole line like McCormick has in several years....and Tone's is still available in Club Size packages at Sams Club...again, haven't seen a store with it's main line of spices as Tones. Tones had bought the Durkee line of spices several years ago...the Durkee cans and bottles said Tone Spice Company as the manufacturer....now, the Durkee line has redesigned packaging, and Tones is not mentioned.

How about Py-o-My cake mixes, Snowdrift shortening, Mrs. Tuckers shortening and oils?

Enough for now.

i
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

terryinokc wrote:Alpha Beta/Skaggs Alpha Beta carried a generic line called "EconoWise"...the label was white with red and black lettering. I remember canned goods, black pepper, and paper products were available....probably more items too.
It was ECONO BUY.
terryinokc
Contributor

Post by terryinokc »

Thanks, Dean.....I thought about that at 3:00 this morning......
dooneyt63
Contributor

Post by dooneyt63 »

Tone's Spices (in little tiny plastic jars) still show up as a full-line assortment at many independent markets in south Alabama and northwest Florida. I think all of the Tone lines went to ACH. French's, Durkee's, and Tone's, among others, were included. Coincidentally, the Mrs. Tucker's shortenings/oils and Snowdrift shortening still show up in independents around here as well. I believe they are ACH brands as well. ACH reunites many of the former Anderson Clayton Humko brands, many of which were regional.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

terryinokc wrote:Thanks, Dean.....I thought about that at 3:00 this morning......
No prob!

Check the store brand thread for further info!
Brian Lutz
Veteran

Post by Brian Lutz »

terryinokc wrote:
Topco also had a "Food Club like " controlled line called Kingston..United Supermarkets here in Oklahoma carried that brand for a while.....think I also saw it at Red Food in Tennessee.
I also remember Kingston as being a brand name carried in Smith's stores in New Meico, but I'm not sure if it was carried throughout the chain or just in that area.
The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0 - Seattle Area Malls, Retail History, and other random things.
OCRedCub
Contributor

Post by OCRedCub »

I miss Fab One Shots.
It was like a pair of fabric softener sheets with big holes. And one load's worth of powdered detergent stuffed between them.
The soap dissolved (mostly) in the wash. And then the empty envelope was your fabric softener sheet in the dryer.
Perfect for college kids. Ingenious. But disappeared a number of years ago.
MBZ321
Contributor

Post by MBZ321 »

OCRedCub wrote:I miss Fab One Shots.
It was like a pair of fabric softener sheets with big holes. And one load's worth of powdered detergent stuffed between them.
The soap dissolved (mostly) in the wash. And then the empty envelope was your fabric softener sheet in the dryer.
Perfect for college kids. Ingenious. But disappeared a number of years ago.
Semi- Off topic, but I thought I'd mention this product is here again, sort of. It's called Purex 3-IN One (Detergent, dryer sheet, anti-static)
jamcool
Veteran

Post by jamcool »

Archway soft cookies are back BTW, made by Lance (better known for their peanut-butter vending machine crackers)
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

How about Ipana toothpaste?
trainman
Contributor

Post by trainman »

Ephrata1966 wrote:How about Ipana toothpaste?
Apparently the most popular toothpaste in Turkey: Procter & Gamble Turkish website.
MikeRa
Veteran

Post by MikeRa »

Dean wrote:
terryinokc wrote:Alpha Beta/Skaggs Alpha Beta carried a generic line called "EconoWise"...the label was white with red and black lettering. I remember canned goods, black pepper, and paper products were available....probably more items too.
It was ECONO BUY.
The ECONO BUY generic brand was also carried at Alpha Beta/Skaggs Alpha Beta sister stores Acme Markets and Acme Super Saver