Extinct Supermarket Merchandise

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

J-Man
Veteran

Obscure Soft Drinks

Post by J-Man »

The store you're thinking of is http://www.sodapopstop.com/ on York Blvd. in Highland Park.
Dean
Veteran

Re: Obscure Soft Drinks

Post by Dean »

J-Man wrote:The store you're thinking of is http://www.sodapopstop.com/ on York Blvd. in Highland Park.
Yup. That's it...thanks J-Man.

Hey, what about extinct store-related merchandise?

I have a small-scale (model size) LUCKY tractor/trailer. The trailer says LUCKY and the trailer has AMERICAN STORES listed.

I also have a RALPHS Plain Wrap coffee mug.

What kind of other related merchandise do folks have out there?!
webcookie
Contributor

Post by webcookie »

I see Shasta around here now and then in some crappy discount stores. Wal-Mart carries RC Cola. I don't know if that is as obscure as I think it is, but I can never seem to find it in Shoprite, Hannaford, etc. And I love RC Cola.

And now about Slice. Awhile back I was doing product demonstrations as my job. I'd go to Target and sample Jones Soda, go to K-Mart and sample Hershey's special dark chocolate bars, etc. One of the events listed was for Slice. And I'm sitting there thinking, "Slice doesn't exist anymore". And I'd talked to some of the people signing up for the event who went to the store that was supposed to be hosting it, and they of course didn't have any Slice. Did this soda try a comeback not too long ago, or what?
runchadrun
Veteran

Re: Obscure Soft Drinks

Post by runchadrun »

J-Man wrote:The store you're thinking of is http://www.sodapopstop.com/ on York Blvd. in Highland Park.
The name of the store is Galco's Old World Market and if you go there it has the added benefit of being a block away from the famous (on this board anyway) Marina Big Lots.
shane
Contributor

Post by shane »

I went antique shopping the other day and I bought a few Ann Page Spice tins marketed by The great A&P tea company. I don't Know if A&P still sells this brand or not.

Another thing that's rare or hard to find double stick fudgesicles
Last edited by shane on 11 Feb 2007 14:38, edited 1 time in total.
socalgrocer

Post by socalgrocer »

Similar to Lucky's generic plain yellow label, Stater Bros in Socal had
their generic plain brown label line of products. VONS had "Slim Price".

socalgrocer
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

shane wrote:I went antique shopping the other day and I bought a few Ann Page Spice tins marketed by The great A&P tea company. I don't Know if A&P still sells this brand or not.
A&P eliminated all their well-known house brand names several years ago in favor of the rather uninspiring America's Choice and Master Choice banners.
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

socalgrocer wrote:Similar to Lucky's generic plain yellow label, Stater Bros in Socal had
their generic plain brown label line of products. VONS had "Slim Price".

socalgrocer
Didn't Ralphs have one, too? I seem to remember a white package with a blue stripe.

Safeway, too, it had a green plaid pattern but I can't remember the name. Scotchbuy comes to mind but I'm not 100% sure.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

klkla wrote:Didn't Ralphs have one, too? I seem to remember a white package with a blue stripe.
Yep, it was called Plain Wrap. If you want to know what it looked like, have a look at Public Image Limited's CD called "compact disc." It looks exactly like a Ralphs Plain Wrap package except or the PIL logo on the stripe.
http://www.amazon.com/Compact-Disc-Publ ... 000005IRS/
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

klkla wrote:Scotchbuy comes to mind but I'm not 100% sure.
Scotch Buy is correct:

socalgrocer

Post by socalgrocer »

I think anything Scotch brand is owned and trademarked by 3M. I never saw a Ralphs generic line but the closest might be Mountain Dairy, which is all Kroger-bannered stores. The closest Albertsons has is their Good Day products. Stores that are supplied by Certified/Unified use Special Value. Supervalu-supplied stores (except Albertsons/Max/Lucky/Bristol/Lazy) their generic is Shopper's Value.

socalgrocer
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

socalgrocer wrote:I think anything Scotch brand is owned and trademarked by 3M. I never saw a Ralphs generic line but the closest might be Mountain Dairy, which is all Kroger-bannered stores. The closest Albertsons has is their Good Day products. Stores that are supplied by Certified/Unified use Special Value. Supervalu-supplied stores (except Albertsons/Max/Lucky/Bristol/Lazy) their generic is Shopper's Value.
I beg to differ. Scotch Buy very much WAS a house brand of Safeway's during the 1980s, and was displayed on everything from coffee to cigarettes. Note that the brand is "Scotch Buy" and not "Scotch".

Also, please note that the dicsussion is on extinct brands, not current ones. I think when people are discussing "generics" in this case, they're mostly referring to the late 1970s/early 1980s trend of "no-name" type products. such as Kroger's Cost Cutter, and the plain black on white labels A&P and others used.

<Edited to combine my two adjacent posts into one.>
Last edited by Groceteria on 11 Feb 2007 22:25, edited 1 time in total.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

Groceteria wrote:Kroger's Cost Cutter
Speaking of Cost Cutter, that was the generic brand used at Kroger's Market Basket stores in Socal. That was probably the only obvious connection to the parent company you found at MB.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

runchadrun wrote:Speaking of Cost Cutter, that was the generic brand used at Kroger's Market Basket stores in Socal.
I have a bottle of Kroger Cost Cutter wine which I think may still be with some stuff I have stored at my parents' house. If I can get over there tomorrow, I'll post a picture. I always thought the idea of generic label wine was a scream...
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Groceteria wrote:
klkla wrote:Scotchbuy comes to mind but I'm not 100% sure.
Scotch Buy is correct:

The jingle, with a Scottish accent, "Scotch Buy. It ain't fancy...but it sure is good!"

thanks for this! Had not thought about this store brand for quite some time!