Extinct Supermarket Merchandise

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

submariner
Veteran

Re: Extinct Supermarket Merchandise

Post by submariner »

Jeff wrote:TAKE MOTHERS COOKIES OFF THE LIST OF EXTINCT MERCH!

From the OC Register:

Kellogg saves Mother’s Cookies
December 5th, 2008, 3:57 pm · 5 Comments · posted by Nancy Luna, Staff Writer

Thank God for Kellogg. The food giant has bought the rights to the trademarks and recipes of Mother’s Cake & Cookie Co., a move that will save the famous pink and white cookies from extinction.

Here’s what the Associated Press had to say:

“Kellogg will use its understanding of the cookie category and distribution infrastructure to expand sales of Mother’s Cookies. The company said it plans to reintroduce many of Mother’s Cookies most popular cookies. Its brands include iced animal crackers, sandwich cookies and wire cut cookies.”
Mother's Cookies

Mother's Cookies will make a comeback

Kellogg also makes Frosted Flakes, Cheez-Its and Eggo waffles.

Read full AP story here

This news should please many Maven readers. Many of you expressed dismay when I wrote that the cookie maker had closed its manufacturing plant in mid-Octboer after filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

We no longer have to mourn

Great! it's good to know they'll live on...
==========
Aaron
"his foxtail-wielding skills are unparalleled, dust bunnies fear his name"
hojos
Contributor

Post by hojos »

Another long-lost brand of popcorn was "TV Time" Popcorn, which came in a pre-measured pouch, with one side containing the popcorn and the other side, a butter flavored shortening/salt mixture. You emptied both sides of the pouch in a saucepan or popcorn popper. A similar, but short-lived brand, was "Merry Poppin' " popcorn.
That actually still exists. My parents LOVE the stuff, and my mom orders it off of Amazon by the CASE.

As far as Rotel goes, I think its more of a Southern thing. I never have a hard time finding it down here (thank god).

I miss two freezer products. One I think might've been a Piggly-Wiggly exclusive: Viennese Ice Cream cake. It was so good. The other was I think a Dannon product. It was frozen yogurt that came in pyramid-shaped paper containers. You'd rip off the top and squeeze the frozen yogurt out. This would have been the late '80s or early '90s. My grandfather and I loved them.
VibeGuy
Contributor

Post by VibeGuy »

hojos wrote:

I miss two freezer products. One I think might've been a Piggly-Wiggly exclusive: Viennese Ice Cream cake. It was so good.
I wonder if this was a knockoff of Breyer's/Unilever "Vienetta" - a decorated loaf of ice cream and wafer-thin chocolate coating (like the shell of an eskimo pie, but layered into the ice cream), which, astonishingly, I just saw featured for the first time in at *least* a decade in a local market.

E
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

here's a trip for ya... My Aunt collects antique products (that she actually finds in various locations around her mother's house) and uses them for decoration...:

==========
Aaron
"his foxtail-wielding skills are unparalleled, dust bunnies fear his name"
tesg
Veteran

Post by tesg »

It really says something that on Christmas Eve, I would be sitting around thinking about nothing in particular and suddenly remember...

FREAKIES!!!!
Brian Lutz
Veteran

Post by Brian Lutz »

James Lileks just put up an old Lucky matchbook depicting a can of Lady Lee peaches that should interest some people here:

http://www.lileks.com/match/gallery/316.html
The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0 - Seattle Area Malls, Retail History, and other random things.
RoleModel

Post by RoleModel »

Jason B. wrote:In the early 1980s (an era of "stagflation"), many supermarket chains had aisles dedicated to "generic" private label products. (The Lucky Stores generic line had canary yellow packaging with simple bold black typeface.)
I remember Pathmark's No Frills generic label products. They were quite good actually.

I think they are somewhat making a comeback. Stop and Shop/Giant has the Guaranteed Value products now - from OJ to franks 'n beans to cookies and bacon.

Here's the link: http://www.stopandshop.com/our_stores/o ... tm?brnd=GV
RobJC
Contributor

Post by RobJC »

Gallon jugs of Pink Fabric Softener were just removed from Shop Rite's product line. A gallon of softener for $1.69. Gone..... and powdered laundry detergent in rectangle boxes.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re:

Post by Groceteria »

Groceteria wrote:I have a bottle of Kroger Cost Cutter wine which I think may still be with some stuff I have stored at my parents' house. If I can get over there tomorrow, I'll post a picture. I always thought the idea of generic label wine was a scream...
OK, so it only took me two years (almost to the day), but here it is:

A fine 1988 Kroger Cost Cutter Lambrusco. For those moments when you wanted something classier than malt liquor. But not much classier.

Andrew T.
Veteran

Re: Re:

Post by Andrew T. »

Groceteria wrote:OK, so it only took me two years (almost to the day), but here it is:

A fine 1988 Kroger Cost Cutter Lambrusco. For those moments when you wanted something classier than malt liquor. But not much classier.
Ah, so it's true: Cost Cutter does have everything! Hilarious.

It's also anyone's guess what the new wallpaper background on my computer is...
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

Oh, my! That reminds me of the "Thrifty" store brand liquor they used to sell before becoming Rite Aid! That stuff looked so bad I don't even think a wino would have touched it!
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

Ralphs used to (maybe still does) have its own brand of liquor--probably best used to clean engine parts. The Cost Cutter Lambrusco is funny in that generics and Lambrusco are both very much products of the stagmflation days of the 70s. Lambrusco was a step up from Boone's Farm et al. (which are around), but a notch below Mateus Rose, whose bottles graced many a dorm room.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

LIBBYLAND kids frozen meals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGtqsT5UVnI
Dean
Veteran

Re:

Post by Dean »

Groceteria wrote:Sunny Select and Presidents Choice are not extinct. PC still exists in Canada (it's owned by Loblaw), and I'm betting it's still sold in certain parts of the US as well.

Sunny Select is a trademark owned, I believe, buy a joint distribution venture of Save-Mart and Raley's, who still carry these products as their house brand. Yucaipa used Sunny Select as a house brand for a time as well, which is probably why you saw it in Alpha Beta.
Bit o' history on President's Choice:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President%27s_Choice

Commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yUPtERDIDE
Brian Lutz
Veteran

Post by Brian Lutz »

I remember seeing President's Choice products at Fred Meyer roughly up until they got bought by Kroger, at which point they began switching their store brand products to Kroger's various brands.
The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0 - Seattle Area Malls, Retail History, and other random things.