Christmas Jingles

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

marshd1000
Veteran

Christmas Jingles

Post by marshd1000 »

On the radio during this Christmas season I have been hearing Safeway's jingle that says "Are you having any fun?". First of all, who sings that? It sounds old like it could be Andy Williams.

Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to see what some other Christmas jingles that various supermarket and drugstores have had.

Some of the ones I remember include, "Merry Christmas from Payless, Merry Christmas!" It had a instrumental part to it where they would tell what was on sale then they would end with the same phrase again.

Another I remember is "Christmas mean more at your Fred Meyer store....". More recently Fred Meyer used "Deck the Halls" using a salsa beat and at the end was the phrase, "cha cha cha".

Does anybody else have any others?
tkaye
Veteran

Re: Christmas Jingles

Post by tkaye »

marshd1000 wrote:On the radio during this Christmas season I have been hearing Safeway's jingle that says "Are you having any fun?". First of all, who sings that? It sounds old like it could be Andy Williams.
It's Tony Bennett... I picked up on his Brooklyn accent right away. It's actually a little snippet of a song he recorded with the Count Basie Orchestra. That said, it's not a really a Christmas song... as I watched that ad, I realized that it tries to create an image of Christmas in your mind, while still being very PC -- there aren't any Christmas decorations visible except for some lights in the far background, if I recall correctly.
Last edited by tkaye on 23 Dec 2006 17:14, edited 1 time in total.
javelin
Veteran

Post by javelin »

I've had the jingle "Merry Christmas, from Thrifty and Payless!" stuck in my mind this week, though both are long gome.

Anyone remember the old Miller's Outpost Christmas commercial with the two cowboys? And what happened to the Wells Fargo stagecoach commercial where they deliver a Christmas tree?
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

javelin wrote:And what happened to the Wells Fargo stagecoach commercial where they deliver a Christmas tree?
That is one of my favorite commercials ever. For a while Wells Fargo dropped the old west motif in their commercials but still ran the Christmas tree commercial. Now that WFB has expanded pretty much nationwide it's too bad they don't show it anymore so everyone can see it.

As an aside, Wells Fargo History has a blog at http://blog.wellsfargo.com/GuidedByHistory/ It's supposed be about "community preparedness and response" but there's a lot of cool WFB history and images. I tried emailing them to suggest they post the commercial but it bounced.
tkaye
Veteran

Post by tkaye »

runchadrun wrote:
javelin wrote:And what happened to the Wells Fargo stagecoach commercial where they deliver a Christmas tree?
That is one of my favorite commercials ever. For a while Wells Fargo dropped the old west motif in their commercials but still ran the Christmas tree commercial. Now that WFB has expanded pretty much nationwide it's too bad they don't show it anymore so everyone can see it.
Here in the Seattle area, they have bus card ads with the stagecoach and the Christmas tree. I've seen them for several years now, but didn't know the significance of them since they used to operate as First Interstate Bank in these parts.
klkla
Veteran

Re: Christmas Jingles

Post by klkla »

tkaye wrote:It's Tony Bennett... I picked up on his Brooklyn accent right away.
You have a good ear. I thought it was Frank Sinatra all this time but looked it up on Rhapsody and you are right!
J-Man
Veteran

Tony

Post by J-Man »

And. of course, that same "Are You Havin' Any Fun" ad (along with the one for "200 varieties of gift cards") is being run ad nauseam in So Cal as well, but as a Vons commercial.
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

For several years Fred Meyer had a commercial with a song, "It's so nice to come home" which showed a guy driving a Fred Meyer truck home to be with his family.