Wadsworth and Jewel, Denver: Safeway/Super S Combo?

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Moderator: Groceteria

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Wadsworth and Jewel, Denver: Safeway/Super S Combo?

Post by Groceteria »

Just stumbled onto this one via an eBay search tonight. Anyone agree that the Skaggs sign might originally have read "Super S"? Anyone know for sure? It even looks like a Super S sign, now that I stare at it more closely. Either way, it's kind of a cool shot.

The building is still standing, with some exterior modifications.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

This looks very, very similar to the setup of the still-standing marina/wavy-roof drugstore combo (ex-Thrifty drugstore, but I suspect is ex-Super S as well) in Mesa, Arizona. The marina recently reopened as a Latino supermarket.

http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=656

I do wonder if that was an amalgamation of two Safeway prototypes, the marina and the late-50s "wavy awning" look.
Chris Sampang
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

This is somewhat close to a former Skaggs Albertsons Combo a bit more north up Wadsworth in "Wheat Ridge."

I think Wadsworth/Jewel is considered Lakewood, but don't quote me. I think there is currently a newer Rite Aid (well, it was a 45 degree Payless, and may not even still be open) across the street from this. Again, don't quote me.
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
justin karimzad
Veteran

Post by justin karimzad »

storewanderer wrote:I think Wadsworth/Jewel is considered Lakewood, but don't quote me. I think there is currently a newer Rite Aid (well, it was a 45 degree Payless, and may not even still be open) across the street from this. Again, don't quote me.
Well, I quoted you :)
Yes this is considered Lakewood, and yes the Rite Aid at 7677 W Jewell ave. is still open. I haven't been able to cough up any directory listings for a supermarket or a drugstore at the space in question, though.