QFC Closing Lakewood Store

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Moderator: Groceteria

bm10k
Contributor

QFC Closing Lakewood Store

Post by bm10k »

QFC Is Closing It's Store in Lakewood near Tacoma
I don't know if it was an Uddenburg store or a new build
The walls have the mid 90's wood panel trim
I'll try to take some pictures this weekend
tkaye
Veteran

Re: QFC Closing Lakewood Store

Post by tkaye »

The Lakewood QFC was built as a Lucky supermarket and a PayLess Tacoma drug store in 1978. After Lucky left the Seattle area in 1985, both spaces were converted to a Pay 'n Pak home center, which operated until that chain folded in 1992. Uddenberg's Stock Market took over after that.

I'm not really surprised at the decision... it's in a location with poor visibility and the Safeway and Saar's stores at Lakewood Towne Center do a much higher volume. Most of the ex-Stock Market stores have been a bust for QFC... there aren't too many left, are there? The one in Parkland is an ex-Uddenberg store... any others?

The store in Auburn is closing too, I might add.
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

Are any other QFCs closing right now besides those two?

QFC seems to have a higher failure rate than is typical for most Kroger divisions (Ralphs excluded).
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
marshd1000
Veteran

Post by marshd1000 »

The Woodinville, Gig Harbor, Port Orchard, Belfair, Port Townsend and Bremerton stores are all ex Uddenberg stores. But it does seem that most of the Uddenberg acquisition was a bust for QFC. A lot of the stores were located in more working class areas. It seems to me that it would have made sense for QFC to have kept the ones bannered as Stock Market in lower class areas where many of them were located. I know that QFC sold some of the smaller Stock Market and Thriftway stores. The ones that they kept as Stock Market eventually became Fred Meyer Marketplace stores. The Bethel Station Fred Meyer Markeplace in Spanaway and the James Village FM Marketplace are both former Stock Markets. The Gig Harbor FM Marketplace is a former Stock Market and the Downtown Gig Harbor QFC is a former Uddenberg's Thriftway.
marshd1000
Veteran

Post by marshd1000 »

I also forgot to mention that the Shelton Fred Meyer Marketplace is also a former Stock Market Foods.
tkaye
Veteran

Post by tkaye »

The Port Orchard (South Park Village) and Bremerton stores were both bannered as Thriftway under Uddenberg's ownership. Port Orchard had a Stock Market Foods as well, located in the former Kmart shopping center on Olney Road. Saar's operates that store now. I assume QFC shed that location around the same time they turned the S. 64th & Yakima store in Tacoma store (former Hi-Ho) over to Saar.

QFC had been in Gig Harbor before they bought out Uddenberg -- they took over the ex-Bag and Save on Point Fosdick in 1995. Also, the Gig Harbor Fred Meyer was converted from a Marketplace to a Northwest Best within the past couple years.