Ads from 1980 Mt. St. Helens newspaper archives

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Moderator: Groceteria

Super S
Veteran

Ads from 1980 Mt. St. Helens newspaper archives

Post by Super S »

The Longview Daily News has put together a special website to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the Mt. St. Helens eruption:

http://www.tdn.com/app/helens/

Of particular interest will be the link that says "news archives" where they have scanned the whole week of the paper following the eruption. In those scanned pages there are a number of ads for stores that were operating in Longview at the time, including Sears, Montgomery Ward, Pay 'N Save, Ernst, Safeway, Fred Meyer, JCPenney, and The Bon. There are also many ads for other stores, some still open today, and some that are long gone. It is worth noting that at the time this was published, Longview's Triangle Mall was in operation, but Kelso's Three Rivers Mall did not exist yet.
tesg
Veteran

Re: Ads from 1980 Mt. St. Helens newspaper archives

Post by tesg »

Allow me to add to the scope here...You will find an article on that new fad known as checkout scanners in the 5/20/80 edition on the B8-C1 pages.

Oh, and these scans are all PDF's you can save. Guess what I'll be doing for the next few hours?

HUGE find, Super S!
Super S
Veteran

Re: Ads from 1980 Mt. St. Helens newspaper archives

Post by Super S »

One of the stores mentioned in that article, Mark-It Foods, eventually changed its name to Market Foods, Then it became Sinnett's Market Place. They eventually also took over a Stock Market Foods store (maybe a year or two after it opened) in Longview. Sinnett's went out of business a few years ago as WinCo opened a store in Longview. However, The original store on Commerce was reopened under new ownership as Your Market Place, and remains open.

An interesting note also...when I first moved to Longview in 1988, I was surprised by the fact that Fred Meyer had scanners in the grocery section, non-scanning electronic registers in the apparel section, and MECHANICAL registers in the rest of the store. This remained until Fred Meyer remodeled around 1989-90.