Safeway Store-Seattle-7800 Aurora Ave. N.-1930s & Now

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Moderator: Groceteria

Jason B.
Veteran

Safeway Store-Seattle-7800 Aurora Ave. N.-1930s & Now

Post by Jason B. »

The Seattle Post-Intelligencer website has a "Then and Now" feature that examines various locales with vintage and current photos.

The "Aurora Avenue North Now and Then" feature includes a photo of a Safeway store exterior that apparently was taken in 1937 at what is now 7800 Aurora Avenue North.

See: http://blog.seattlepi.com/thebigblog/20 ... en-part-1/
"This Safeway store was on Aurora in the 1930s, and this photo was taken in '37. (State Archives)"
(Photo 1 of 62)
"SAFEWAY" signs in 1930s style are seen, along with a "PARK HERE" sign (this was in the early days of grocery stores with dedicated parking lots). Signs with various product prices also are visible in the photo.

That Safeway store building, apparently constructed in 1936, still survives today, says the P-I.
"Hard to believe this is the same building, but it is. The building was constructed in 1936. (Google Street View)"
(Photo 2 of 62)
The Google Street View photo depicts an "Action Autosports" business in the 1930s Safeway building.

This is quite a gem and a commendable bit of detective work. Even if you've never been to Seattle (like me), the P-I "Then & Now" feature is a good way to spend a few spare minutes on the internet.
hornblwr
Contributor

Re: Safeway Store-Seattle-7800 Aurora Ave. N.-1930s & Now

Post by hornblwr »

Wonderful find! I see there is also an old Tradewell store in this picture series.