Safeway in Newberg and McMinnville

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Moderator: Groceteria

Post Reply
StoreLiker2013
Full Member
Posts: 19
Joined: 06 Feb 2013 22:25
Location: Oak Grove, OR
Contact:

Safeway in Newberg and McMinnville

Post by StoreLiker2013 » 04 Aug 2016 00:42

Does anyone know anything about the history of Safeway in the Oregon towns of Newberg and McMinnville that are west of Portland, both of which lie within Highway 99W?

First off... McMinnville. The first Safeway store to open in this city was on September 16, 1958 at 442 Northeast Baker Street. That location moved up east to 1201 NE Highway 99W in 1974 (now a Goodwill store), and finally further east to 2490 NE Highway 99W around 2002 (at the site of a former Ernst Hardware store) where it still stands.

And then, Newberg. While the present Safeway in this city is located in a former Thriftway store at 1140 North Springbrook Road (Springbrook Plaza), history tells me the first Safeway built here was in the 1950s at 710 East Hancock Street (now occupied by Capitol Dental Care), which moved around 1967 to 1510 East 1st Street, at OR-219, but I also believe Safeway had another store built in the early-to-mid 1980s to replace the 1960s build (now a Grocery Outlet) at 1st & OR-219.

~Ben

Super S
Senior Member
Posts: 417
Joined: 07 Jan 2006 00:40

Re: Safeway in Newberg and McMinnville

Post by Super S » 05 Aug 2016 12:09

StoreLiker2013 wrote:Does anyone know anything about the history of Safeway in the Oregon towns of Newberg and McMinnville that are west of Portland, both of which lie within Highway 99W?

First off... McMinnville. The first Safeway store to open in this city was on September 16, 1958 at 442 Northeast Baker Street. That location moved up east to 1201 NE Highway 99W in 1974 (now a Goodwill store), and finally further east to 2490 NE Highway 99W around 2002 (at the site of a former Ernst Hardware store) where it still stands.

And then, Newberg. While the present Safeway in this city is located in a former Thriftway store at 1140 North Springbrook Road (Springbrook Plaza), history tells me the first Safeway built here was in the 1950s at 710 East Hancock Street (now occupied by Capitol Dental Care), which moved around 1967 to 1510 East 1st Street, at OR-219, but I also believe Safeway had another store built in the early-to-mid 1980s to replace the 1960s build (now a Grocery Outlet) at 1st & OR-219.

~Ben

The current McMinnville location was originally a Kmart. I suppose it is possible that Ernst could have briefly operated there after Kmart closed. However, Ernst was just starting to open stores around the Portland area only a couple years before they folded, there is a former Ernst closer to Tigard which is currently a Marshalls store.

Super S
Senior Member
Posts: 417
Joined: 07 Jan 2006 00:40

Re: Safeway in Newberg and McMinnville

Post by Super S » 05 Aug 2016 12:16

Super S wrote:
StoreLiker2013 wrote:Does anyone know anything about the history of Safeway in the Oregon towns of Newberg and McMinnville that are west of Portland, both of which lie within Highway 99W?

First off... McMinnville. The first Safeway store to open in this city was on September 16, 1958 at 442 Northeast Baker Street. That location moved up east to 1201 NE Highway 99W in 1974 (now a Goodwill store), and finally further east to 2490 NE Highway 99W around 2002 (at the site of a former Ernst Hardware store) where it still stands.

And then, Newberg. While the present Safeway in this city is located in a former Thriftway store at 1140 North Springbrook Road (Springbrook Plaza), history tells me the first Safeway built here was in the 1950s at 710 East Hancock Street (now occupied by Capitol Dental Care), which moved around 1967 to 1510 East 1st Street, at OR-219, but I also believe Safeway had another store built in the early-to-mid 1980s to replace the 1960s build (now a Grocery Outlet) at 1st & OR-219.

~Ben

The current McMinnville location was originally a Kmart. It, along with the North Salem store, closed in an early round of Kmart closures around the mid-1990s. I suppose it is possible that Ernst could have briefly operated there after Kmart closed. Ernst was just starting to open stores around the Portland area only a couple years before they folded, there is a former Ernst closer to Tigard which is currently a Marshalls store.

StoreLiker2013
Full Member
Posts: 19
Joined: 06 Feb 2013 22:25
Location: Oak Grove, OR
Contact:

Re: Safeway in Newberg and McMinnville

Post by StoreLiker2013 » 15 Aug 2016 21:33

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzzpI95oNhg

If you skip to about 3:10 you can see the sign out for the former Safeway in Newberg at 1510 East 1st Street. The video was filmed late 1970s (1979). Again, does anyone remember exactly when Safeway moved to 1140 North Springbrook Plaza (where Thriftway used to be)?

~Ben

Super S
Senior Member
Posts: 417
Joined: 07 Jan 2006 00:40

Re: Safeway in Newberg and McMinnville

Post by Super S » 17 Aug 2016 22:09

StoreLiker2013 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzzpI95oNhg

If you skip to about 3:10 you can see the sign out for the former Safeway in Newberg at 1510 East 1st Street. The video was filmed late 1970s (1979). Again, does anyone remember exactly when Safeway moved to 1140 North Springbrook Plaza (where Thriftway used to be)?

~Ben
In that video, I also spotted a Chevron station branded as a Standard station. Now that makes three Standard branded Chevron stations that I know of that existed in Oregon. The others were located on Mcloughlin Blvd, and a current one in Beaverton just off of highway 217 in front of a Kohl's store.

That Safeway on 1st street I believe was also a Wilco Farm Store for a while.

StoreLiker2013
Full Member
Posts: 19
Joined: 06 Feb 2013 22:25
Location: Oak Grove, OR
Contact:

Re: Safeway in Newberg and McMinnville

Post by StoreLiker2013 » 18 Aug 2016 00:36

Super S wrote: In that video, I also spotted a Chevron station branded as a Standard station. Now that makes three Standard branded Chevron stations that I know of that existed in Oregon. The others were located on Mcloughlin Blvd, and a current one in Beaverton just off of highway 217 in front of a Kohl's store.

That Safeway on 1st street I believe was also a Wilco Farm Store for a while.
I think so, too... Grocery Outlet didn't occupy this building until 2011.

~Ben

Post Reply