Cheyenne, WY chain grocery/supermarket history, 1926-60
As is par for the course, chains first emerged in Cheyenne in the early-to-mid 1920s. The first three outfits that established themselves in the city were:
- E&H Service Stores, a local concern that vanished by the end of the decade.
- Piggly Wiggly, which vanished from Cheyenne in the 1930s.
- Skaggs Cash Stores, which morphed into Safeway by decade's end.
Unfortunately, that no longer is the case. Among the recent "victims" is 1891 Converse Ave...an address dating back to 1955 (in the pylon era) that was evidently replaced by a Marina store in the 1960s that, in turn, was expanded and false-fronted in the 1970s. From that point on, the store essentially remained stopped in time...1970s signage and circle-S symbols included...until its closure in 2016.