Fred Meyer Marketplaces

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Moderator: Groceteria

Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

Today, I was driving on Glisan in Portland and noticed that the Glisan Fred Meyer has been recently remodeled, so I stopped in. It had been several years since I last visited this store. Worth noting: I noticed there was not a single Marketplace sign anywhere outside. Is Fred Meyer phasing out the Marketplace name?
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa11 ... %20Glisan/

The Marketplace on Lombard received a similar interior remodel but the exterior was not redone.
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
formergrocerygal

Fred Meyer Marketplace

Post by formergrocerygal »

Super S wrote:Today, I was driving on Glisan in Portland and noticed that the Glisan Fred Meyer has been recently remodeled, so I stopped in. It had been several years since I last visited this store. Worth noting: I noticed there was not a single Marketplace sign anywhere outside. Is Fred Meyer phasing out the Marketplace name?
Yes, the Marketplace version of Fred Meyer is practically phased out. For example, the store on NW 20th and Burnside was a Marketplace, but transitioned to Northwest Best - a more upscale version of Fred Meyer with more focus on food, comparable to Zupan's. You will notice at the Glisan location the new building does not house apparel anymore.
StoreLiker2006
Veteran

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

storewanderer wrote:http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa11 ... %20Glisan/

The Marketplace on Lombard received a similar interior remodel but the exterior was not redone.
Would you happen to have any exterior shots of the Glisan FM?

~Ben
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

None. I went late at night. I have exteriors of some other Marketplaces. The store on Grand looked a lot better inside than I expected from the appearance of the exterior. There is a new Fred Meyer going up somewhat close to that by the river and I wonder if that store is being replaced.

2201 Grand Vancouver

7700 BH Hwy
Last edited by storewanderer on 18 Nov 2007 06:15, edited 1 time in total.
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
tesg
Veteran

Post by tesg »

YIKES. Is that (2201 BH Hwy) Raleigh Hills?

That's a RADICAL change from what that store looked like in my Oregon days. The entrance was at the middle of the building, not on the corner. Grocery was on the south (back) end divided from the store. Home improvement was in a separate building behind the store.

And they had an awesome sign.

(Yes, it was a full Fred Meyer then.)
StoreLiker2006
Veteran

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

Hold it: Change "2201 BH Hwy" to "7700 BH Hwy."

Thank you,

Ben
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

Yes I had the address wrong on the Beaverton Hillsdale Highway one. The home improvement department is still in a different building than the store.

The interior of this store was on the rough side for a Fred Meyer. I'd guess it got some sort of remodel work in the late 80's or early 90's but little investment since.

I would say that this store has enough room to be demolished and rebuilt into a full size store. Given that nearby is an older Safeway and also a marina-roof-Albertsons both of which look to have been expanded something tells me this neighborhood isn't much for "replacing stores." That Albertsons had the Kosher program complete with deli, bakery, etc. This was neat to see.
StoreLiker2006
Veteran

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

storewanderer wrote:Yes I had the address wrong on the Beaverton Hillsdale Highway one. The home improvement department is still in a different building than the store.

The interior of this store was on the rough side for a Fred Meyer. I'd guess it got some sort of remodel work in the late 80's or early 90's but little investment since.

I would say that this store has enough room to be demolished and rebuilt into a full size store. Given that nearby is an older Safeway and also a marina-roof-Albertsons both of which look to have been expanded something tells me this neighborhood isn't much for "replacing stores." That Albertsons had the Kosher program complete with deli, bakery, etc. This was neat to see.
FYI, the FM Raleigh Hills store had last been remodeled in 1988.