Northwest Safeways

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Moderator: Groceteria

StoreLiker2006
Veteran

Re: Northwest Safeways

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

Regarding that gable-roofed Safeway in Astoria, I believe that is the Duane Street location and I believe Safeway closed that down sometime in the 1990s, as I have noticed the 1980s Safeway logo adorned above the doorway. This location appears to date from the 1950s because of this doorway style.

~Ben
kr.abs.swy
Contributor

Post by kr.abs.swy »

Ben, you're close. Safeway built a new store to replace that little store in Astoria, but it was in the early 2000s. I shopped at the gable store while visiting some cousins, probably in 2003 but possibly 2002. I think the new store was already under construction at that point.
StoreLiker2006
Veteran

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

kr.abs.swy wrote:Ben, you're close. Safeway built a new store to replace that little store in Astoria, but it was in the early 2000s. I shopped at the gable store while visiting some cousins, probably in 2003 but possibly 2002. I think the new store was already under construction at that point.
Is that replacement store located at 3250 Leif Erickson Drive?

~Ben
kr.abs.swy
Contributor

Post by kr.abs.swy »

Ben, yup, that's the one.

I remember my cousins saying they hated the gable store because it was so small. I'm sure that's not a concern with the new one ...
StoreLiker2006
Veteran

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

kr.abs.swy wrote:Ben, yup, that's the one.

I remember my cousins saying they hated the gable store because it was so small. I'm sure that's not a concern with the new one ...
No doubt in regards to that new one. The old '50s location on Duane Street was tired and was by all accounts ready to be shuttered.

~Ben
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

I visited that old Astoria Safeway once in the late 90s, and recall it being EXTREMELY small. The new store replaced a Sentry store on the same site, what I don't know though is if Safeway tore dowm the Sentry and rebuilt, or if the Sentry was remodeled. The store faces the same direction as it did when it was Sentry.
justin karimzad
Veteran

Re:

Post by justin karimzad »

StoreLiker2005 wrote: The photo of 401 A Ave in Lake Oswego: This location opened in February 1965. Does anyone have pictures of this store the way it was back in '65?
3 1/2 years late, but showing the store's annual Christmas tree lighting in a tree that was preserved on the property when the store was built...
http://pleasantfamilyshopping.blogspot. ... e%20Oswego
justin karimzad
Veteran

Post by justin karimzad »

Never seen a Safeway with this design. Sort of looks like a sideways Penn Fruit/Grand Union, with a very sharp arched roof and protruding wood beams. Too bad the building is long gone. Scroll left on the ad to see a photo of the Farmdale Plaza store, once located in Springfield, neighboring city to Eugene, OR;
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=3b ... gene&hl=en