Fred Meyer Classic Architecture

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Moderator: Groceteria

StoreLiker2005

Fred Meyer Classic Architecture

Post by StoreLiker2005 »

Hi Gang,

Does anyone remember what the following Fred Meyer stores looked like in the '70s and '80s???

From mid-1976 to 1984, my parents would shop at the Freddy's Southeast Shopping Center (at 5253 SE 82nd Ave in Portland, OR), which originally opened around December 1940 and received a massive remodel job in November 1966. The new Home Improvement & Garden Center here made its debut in the summer of 1979. If anyone has photos of the FM Southeast store in its 1966 and 1979 views, I would appreciate them.

In my current hometown of Oak Grove, the FM I shopped at since 1984 (14700 SE McLoughlin Blvd in Milwaukie, OR), originally opened in July 1960. The mansard roofing wasn't always present here. . . that wasn't added until circa 1969-70. It was then remodeled again circa 1980, which was why the exterior recalled the Clackamas location (at 16301 SE 82nd Drive in Clackamas, OR) which had opened in May 1979. If anyone has any old photos of this location in its 1969 and 1980 views, I would appreciate them. FM Oak Grove was remodeled for a third time in 1990, in which the lumber supplies were moved exclusively to the Clackamas location.

--Benjamin Edge (StoreLiker2005)
timbabcock
Contributor

Re: Fred Meyer Classic Architecture

Post by timbabcock »

Most of the stores used this white sheet metal with a dark brown alomst black sheet metal for the trim and entrances. Most of the stores were boxy looking. I think the Fred Meyer in Kirkland Washington still has that kind of look on the exterior.

Interior of the stores used a lot of bright colors. Yellow, blue, brown, and maybe even pink to distinquish the departments.
StoreLiker2006
Veteran

Re: Fred Meyer Classic Architecture

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

timbabcock wrote:Most of the stores used this white sheet metal with a dark brown alomst black sheet metal for the trim and entrances. Most of the stores were boxy looking. I think the Fred Meyer in Kirkland Washington still has that kind of look on the exterior.

Interior of the stores used a lot of bright colors. Yellow, blue, brown, and maybe even pink to distinquish the departments.
If you could kindly submit a picture of the Totem Lake store, I would appreciate it.