Oregon: 1960s Safeway

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Moderator: Groceteria

TheStranger
Veteran

Oregon: 1960s Safeway

Post by TheStranger »

Though I'm not sure if it's a marina, the row lighting and laminated wooden beams give away the era of this store. This flickr collection seems to come from someone in the Eugene area...

http://flickr.com/photos/sierralupe/353971590/
Chris Sampang
justin karimzad
Veteran

Post by justin karimzad »

Indeed. That's the store at 2060 River Rd. that opened July 1968, and once featured a bakery and a snack shop. It was built with a flat roof to conform to a neighboring discount store (Bi-Mart).
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

justin karimzad wrote:Indeed. That's the store at 2060 River Rd. that opened July 1968, and once featured a bakery and a snack shop. It was built with a flat roof to conform to a neighboring discount store (Bi-Mart).
I wonder where these non-marina/gable laminated-beam stores fit in, in terms of prototypes...we know of course of the shakeroof example in Milpitas (which you and Charles and I visited last month) and the current CVS, previously Sav-on example in Reno, the "flat gable" as I termed it.

There's also the flat gable in Hawaii that I've seen on Flickr before...

Seems like with a flat roof, there's less of a need for laminated beams, in theory.
Chris Sampang
justin karimzad
Veteran

Post by justin karimzad »

TheStranger wrote:I wonder where these non-marina/gable laminated-beam stores fit in, in terms of prototypes...we know of course of the shakeroof example in Milpitas (which you and Charles and I visited last month) and the current CVS, previously Sav-on example in Reno, the "flat gable" as I termed it.

There's also the flat gable in Hawaii that I've seen on Flickr before...

Seems like with a flat roof, there's less of a need for laminated beams, in theory.
Yeah, and the roof on this one is very flat. Unlike the Milpitas former Safeway and others that were shaped, to varying degree, like a hut, the main ceiling doesn't even have any curve at the edges and the beams have no bend at all anywhere. My guess is that the architects of this store were used to designing other Oregon Marina stores. For example, the Albany, OR store and another one in Portland looked a lot like this store, such as with the use of the same stone facing and a large square column in their right entrance overhangs. They probably just decided to engineer this flat-roofed store the same way as they had their Marinas.
StoreLiker2006
Veteran

Which Safeways Kept Their Bakeries/Snack Shops 'til the End?

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

This reminds me... which Safeways in all Oregon (and in Vancouver, WA) had kept their bakeries and snack shops 'til the end of their time?