Moderator: Groceteria

TheStranger
Veteran

Davis: Nugget Market (409 Mace Blvd.)

Post by TheStranger »

http://dtcwrt.earlracing.com/stores/davis.htm

Reason I'm curious about this store:

http://daviswiki.org/Safeway
2005-01-23 01:04:38 Safeway has been in Davis for ages, but the company has an ongoing habit of closing one store and relocating to a different part of town each time a new development/shopping center opens. Former Safeway sites include the area that became State (Harvest) Market (now Cost Plus), the present location of the Co-Op, and the present location of the East Davis Nugget, to name a few. —CentralDavisite
I have my doubts though (I'm pretty sure, on the other hand, for the other two former Safeway locations listed, of which the Co-Op is an early 1960s gable with an odd false front).
Chris Sampang
Paper or Plastic
Contributor

Post by Paper or Plastic »

you REALLY need to lay off the coffee when you take those pictures!

I lived on Pole Line Rd in Davis for about 3 months back in 1997. That Safeway was an older 70's build that blended in with the rest of the center. Mansard shingle roof flowed from Longs then to the Safeway. That store was closed and abandoned when I lived there. The Nugget I belive was a demolish or a partial tear down of the old Safeway as the Nugget is set back from the curb.
Paper or Plastic
Contributor

Paper or Plastic wrote:you REALLY need to lay off the coffee when you take those pictures!

I lived on Pole Line Rd in Davis for about 3 months back in 1997. The Oak tree plaza Safeway was an older 70's build that blended in with the rest of the center. Mansard shingle roof flowed from Longs then to the Safeway. That store was closed and abandoned when I lived there. The Nugget I belive was a demolish or a partial tear down of the old Safeway as the Nugget is set back from the curb.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

Paper or Plastic wrote:you REALLY need to lay off the coffee when you take those pictures!
More like, "without flash, I can't stabilize as well." Sorry about that. Kinda a byproduct of trying to get a lot of photos in in not too much time...
Paper or Plastic wrote:
I lived on Pole Line Rd in Davis for about 3 months back in 1997. That Safeway was an older 70's build that blended in with the rest of the center. Mansard shingle roof flowed from Longs then to the Safeway. That store was closed and abandoned when I lived there. The Nugget I belive was a demolish or a partial tear down of the old Safeway as the Nugget is set back from the curb.
Is that the current Nugget in _North_ Davis, and not the one being talked about here? Strange to have a Safeway up there so close to the other Covell Boulevard location, if that's the case (unless the current Marketplace location at Covell/Anderson was the direct replacement for this one).

Storewanderer tells me that the North Davis Nugget site (which is a new building) was also ex-Fry's and Cost U Less.
Chris Sampang
Paper or Plastic
Contributor

Andersen plaza is a Albertsons isn't it ? Funny, I used to be a Schwan's guy and Davis was one of my routes... but that was five years ago and things change and the memory goes!
Paper or Plastic
Contributor

and yes that is the North Davis store I was talking about.. I studied your shakey town pic and realized that is the south Davis store.. it's more downscale than the uppity north Nugget.
Nugget used (closed) to have a store on Walerga ( I think) North Highlands area that was a getto Nugget... it used to be an Alpha Beta from what I heard.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

Paper or Plastic wrote:Andersen plaza is a Albertsons isn't it ? Funny, I used to be a Schwan's guy and Davis was one of my routes... but that was five years ago and things change and the memory goes!
Yes, Anderson Plaza (Anderson/Covell) is Albertsons. I mistakenly mixed that up with the Marketplace shopping center (Covell/Sycamore) where Safeway and Longs is located currently.
Paper or Plastic wrote:and yes that is the North Davis store I was talking about.. I studied your shakey town pic and realized that is the south Davis store.. it's more downscale than the uppity north Nugget.
Nugget used (closed) to have a store on Walerga ( I think) North Highlands area that was a getto Nugget... it used to be an Alpha Beta from what I heard.
I think that closed about four years ago?
Chris Sampang
Paper or Plastic
Contributor

probably.. that was also one of my route areas and I would stop there for snacks and such.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

Paper or Plastic wrote:probably.. that was also one of my route areas and I would stop there for snacks and such.
I keep thinking there's a new tenant at that Nugget but I can't be for certain. Was it a gable Alpha-Beta or just a flatroofed building?

Storewanderer says that SavCo took it over first, but now it's La Superior. (SavCo still has a location in Robla, at Norwood and Jessie in a former Sav-Max - but that unit, under both operators, has had very, very bad crime issues.)
Chris Sampang
Paper or Plastic
Contributor

flat roofed 70's build from what I remember.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

I have split off the posts not related to the specific location mentioned in the subject line:

http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1062