Albertsons's Max Foods/Grocery Warehouse division

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

socalgrocer

Albertsons's Max Foods/Grocery Warehouse division

Post by socalgrocer »

I just read a piece from Findarticles.com dating back to 1992 which had an interview with then outgoing Albertsons CEO Gary Michael (who became CEO again during the American Stores acquisition) about the company's expansion plans. In southern california, he said that the company will open up a bunch of stores in 1993 to be Albertsons and four of thoses stores will be branded Grocery Warehouse. Could you please reply with a description of a typical Max Foods/Max Food and Pharmacy/Grocery Warehouse store of the 1990's?
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

The Grocery Warehouses that I knew were in Montebello and Alhambra. Both were rebranded a few years later as Max Foods.

Alhambra was a former Albertsons and the other was a former Zody's Department store next to a former Albertsons that had moved into part of the Zodys.

The Alhambra store is now a Lucky's.
The Montebello store is still Max Foods.

This store was to rival Food 4 Less, but most Max Foods were just old Albertsons stores that were too small. The Max Foods in montebello however was huge inside.
socalgrocer

General History of Albertsons warehouse stores

Post by socalgrocer »

Does anyone know the general history of Albertson's warehouse chains, now that I'm veering back into the general history on the subject of Albertsons?

socalgrocer
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

Monte Mart dates to at least the 70's. That is a sure thing. There was a location once in West Sacramento, site of a current Walgreens, which closed by 1990. There were also locations in Salinas and Monterey which were older. There was a newer Monte Mart in Hanford (I think this is still open and if so is the last one). There was also a newer one in Porterville which closed recently.

Albertsons marketed both Grocery Warehouse and Max Foods in CO. Many of these around Denver appeared to be former Skaggs Albertsons combination units (all are closed that fit this description). The ones in Colorado Springs were former Cub Stores more recently acquired.

I guess Albertsons also ran some Max/GW Stores in Texas, Oregon, and Idaho. These have been gone for a while now.

I know Cerberus runs at least one Grocery Warehouse in Denver on Federal, it may be the only one left.

I don't think there is much difference between these stores as far as the name used is concerned (Max, GW, Monte Mart). I know there is an odd Albertsons in Klamath Falls, OR that has a large Albertsons logo but smaller "Grocery Warehouse" lettering below that. This store looks like any other mid 1990's Albertsons with the blue and gray walls, preferred card, etc..

Now for American Stores.

They operated Super Saver as a sub of Acme in the 1960's or 1970's. It was retired somewhere along the way. It reappeared in CA on some discount format stores that ASC had opened earlier in the 1990's with some other name (Price Advantage). They were sued for using Price Advantage so they had to change the name. Super Saver was reborn, this time in CA.

The main difference in Super Savers was how the concept was built. In NorCal the stores were converted smaller former Lucky stores. In SoCal, they built new stores.

Super Saver sort of floundered around in the 1990's, some were divested off in 1999 but a few remained open. By 2004 the only ones left from the ASC days were Indio and Woodland. Indio closed in 2005 while Woodland closed in 2006 (but is reopening as a La Superior Supermercado).

Then Albertsons announced a new hispanic concept in SoCal at some point, decided it would be called Super Saver. I think these stores have since either closed or branded Lucky.

Then Albertsons announced a new price impact format for TX, LA, and FL as Super Saver. The unique thing with these stores is they carried Acme private brand items (not Albertsons brand). Also, a couple Food for Less by Albertsons stores in Utah were branded Super Saver (former F4L Stores owned by Fleming).

As it stands the only Super Savers left are in UT. One has to wonder if the name will ever pop up again and just who owns the name (Supervalu or Cerberus).
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

As for Max Foods... I lived in Boise from 1984-1988. Not long after D'Alessandro's, which was a large local store with a single location on Chinden Boulevard, closed its doors, I would say 85 or 86, Albertson's purchased the building. Albertsons had a fairly new store nearby already at State Street and Gary Lane. So, Albertson's opened a store at this location called Maxx (with two x's) Warehouse Food and Drug. My family did not shop there often, but I do remember they had some of the Albertsons brands such as Janet Lee. At some point in the mid-late 90s during a visit to Boise, I noticed the name was shortened to Max Foods (with one x instead of two) and the outside signs did not indicate a pharmacy. On my most recent visit in 2001 the store was closed, I have no idea what is there today. I do not remember Albertsons opening any more locations under Maxx or Max in Boise. From what I understood, Albertsons was considering new store prototypes when they opened this store.
reymann
Contributor

Post by reymann »

The Monte Mart in Hanford closed last year.