Petrini's Locations in SF Bay Area

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

How many Petrini's locations did Mollie Stone take over? I want to say the one in San Bruno's Bayhill Shopping Center was one but I'm not certain...I know for sure that the Borders Books at Stonestown mall in SF replaced a Petrini's.
Chris Sampang
justin karimzad
Veteran

Post by justin karimzad »

I don't know how many former Petrini's Mollie Stone's took over, but yes the San Bruno location used to be a Petrini's, possibly from the 1970s.
zoticogrillo

Petrini's markets

Post by zoticogrillo »

I am currently working on a wiki posting on Petrini's. You can see it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrini's. I have a small family archive of newspaper articles and publications that I'm relying on, and entering information on my spare time. Even what's posted isn't really that great, but it's the only thing out there on the topic. I appreciate any contributions or suggestions that anyone might offer. I hope to be adding a large section on Frank Petrini's innovative business strategies in the near future.

To reply to this post more directly, many stores were sold by Provigo's, after they purchased the chain from Frank Petrini in 1989. Therefore, for a few short years before they were all closed, a number of the markets bore other names. One of the names was "Apple Market". The parent of Trader Joe's owned many stores for a short period of time. I don't know when the last store closed, but they quickly dissappeared sometime around 1996.
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

There was an Apple in Novato a few years ago. Very nice store. Large deli along the front wall. Meat area was large. Mostly very old looking, but maintained, flooring and fixtures/equipment. Pretty bland on the decor. This store seemed more upscale than the typical independent.

Apple also bought the former Albertsons in Petaluma on McDowell, but closed it rather quickly.
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
J-Man
Veteran

Petrini's to Apple

Post by J-Man »

I know the Petrini's in the Rheem Shopping Center in Moraga became an Apple Market. I don't know what's there now.
giantspbpk

Post by giantspbpk »

There was a Petrini's in Bon Air Shopping Center, Greenbrae, that I frequented as a child. The market was built further forward than the rest of the strip mall, hence the lack of parking directly in front of the store. Originally, there was a small deli along the front wall in front of the checkstands and a carpeted wine area to the right side of the store. There was a "Liquors" sign in the Petrini script located in front of that portion of the store. During a renovation after the 1989 sale, the store was significantly remodeled, with the wine department moving to the middle of the store, a new deli island where the old produce dept was, and a new produce department in the old wine area.

This location still operates as a Mollie Stones, with the same manager, Jeff Lane, who started in the store when it was still a Petrini's. In a recent renovation, windows were cut in the front of the store. The store does a great business as a Mollie Stones and in fact, when my mom shops there, she is still able to use her old Petrini's check number (a system they developed - you write a personalized number on your check instead of showing your ID when writing a check).
romleys
Veteran

Rheem Apple Market

Post by romleys »

The Apple Market in Rheem sat vacant for at least five years. Then in 2006 Home Goods opened in the building. Coincidentally there is a TJ MAXX in the same center which replaced a Safeway in 1987.
(Home Goods is owned by TJ MAXX)
Charles H:)
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

A little off topic but are these the same Apple Markets franchised by Unified Grocers like the one in Canoga Park?
storeliker
Contributor

Petrinis

Post by storeliker »

I know that the Apple Store is still open in San Marin area of Novato. I am wondering if the Mill Valley location of Molly Stones was a Petrinis. It looked as though it may have been a Lucky. Anyone know?
me
storeliker
Contributor

Petrinis

Post by storeliker »

I meant the Mollie Stones in Sausalito. Does anyone know what that was? Petrininis? Also in Petaluma Plaza Albertsons became Apple which in turn is now a Trader Joes.
me
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

Yes, the Apples mentioned are franchise units of Unified.

The Petaluma and Novato Apples were under same ownership. Bianchini, I believe. They went bankrupt and that is when the Petaluma one closed. I don't know about the ownership of the Novato Apple. I do know there are some "nutrition" signs atop the meat case in Novato that were removed from the Albertsons and if you look for small print you can see they were printed by Albertsons Printing and Supply around 1992 or so.
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
Jason B.
Veteran

Re: Petrini's Locations in SF Bay Area

Post by Jason B. »

SFGate.com, the website of the "San Francisco Chronicle," ran an item about the Petrini's location at Masonic & Fulton in San Francisco on January 18, 2018:
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/w ... 508339.php
The article says that ground was broken in 1955.

The item also includes images of grocery stories and supermarkets in California from years gone by.
sjankis630

Re: Petrini's Locations in SF Bay Area

Post by sjankis630 »

Oh wow I remember shopping at Petrinis with my Mother back in the early 1970s. We lived on McAllister so it must have been the one located in your Wiki at 2001 McAllister Street. She loved that market and despite the fact that I know our family didn't have much money she would always take me there.
My memory is hazy but I would love to see any pictures of that location from back in the day.
I think the reason she was so enamored of the location was the pride that they seemed to take in their store.