PAK'N SAVE FOODS

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

reymann
Contributor

Post by reymann »

Does anyone have photos for Pak n' Save interiors?
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

reymann wrote:Does anyone have photos for Pak n' Save interiors?
My South San Francisco page has a few of the location at Westborough and Gellert (which was a short-lived KMart before becoming PNS in the early 1980s):

http://dtcwrt.earlracing.com/stores/ssf.htm

The decor was recently redone, sometime in 2006 I think, but I'm not for sure.
Chris Sampang
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

Pak N' Save here had yellow walls with department lettering painted on in black, in a "stencil" font. When Food Maxx took over, they remodeled much of the store, including removing the lighting fixtures over the exit that I'm sure dated back to when the store was Zody's. The only thing that remained was the floor.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

Speaking of Pak 'n' Save, the Elk Grove location is closing, as a new Safeway is being built in town to complement two existing units:

http://www.sacbee.com/204/story/102128.html
Chris Sampang
socalgrocer

Safeway-owned Pak n Save Foods

Post by socalgrocer »

The Chino store (60 at Central) closed in 2005. It was a barebones warehouse store with a VONS pharmacy and an dollar aisle. Safeway operates a similar Extreme Value Center in La Verne.

By the way, despite the closed store, Vons maintains a printing and supply plant next door, bannered as "VONS PRINTING SERVICES".

socalgrocer
buckhead
Contributor

Post by buckhead »

klkla wrote:
storewanderer wrote:How did Safeway supply Pak N Saves in FL?
If I remember right they used a wholesale cooperative. There weren't very many stores, probably around a dozen and they had barely entered the market and ended up backing right out.
There were only a handful of stores. I visited two, one in Tampa and the other in Casselberry (near Orlando). The Casselberry store used a slightly different name, "Save N Pak" to avoid confusion and maybe trademark conflict with "Pick N Save" (or was it "Pik n Save") a large discount drug/variety store with a location in nearby Longwood. The store did not last long...maybe even less than a year.
romleys
Veteran

Re: PAK'N SAVE FOODS

Post by romleys »

Bringing up the topic again,
Pak n Save seems to be literally "forgotten" by Safeway when it comes to cleanliness, service, and quality but there are a handful of stores still open...
Sunnyvale,CA
Madera,CA
Sonora,CA
Manteca,CA (Converted into a lifestyle Safeway store in 2008)
South San Francisco,CA
Emeryville,CA
Oakland,CA
San Leandro,CA
Elk Grove,CA (Closed in 2006)
Dublin,CA (Closed in 2003/2004)
San Jose,CA (Closed as mentioned in archived article above)
any others?
Charles H:)
Buckethead
Contributor

Re: PAK'N SAVE FOODS

Post by Buckethead »

The Pak N Save in Modesto in 1984 must have been an anamoly. It was a 'regular' grocery store, not like those described. Is it possible it was meant to be a Vons/Safeway but was given the Pak name instead? It lasted about 2 years but one opened in 91.