Max Foods Montebello Closing

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

Dean
Veteran

Re: Max Foods Montebello Closing

Post by Dean »

Drove by the new Smart & Final. Didn't have time to get off the 60 and check it out.

Liked that they kept the original LUCKY-shaped trapezoid sign!
What is the Smart & Final EXTRA all about?!
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Think of it as a market-style smart and final. it has a lot of the goods like a regular smart and final, but smaller sizes (like single cans of soup) and with produce (like a regular supermarket).
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

thanks Jeff...will check it out soon.

It was interesting to see the Circuit City closing...as that center has seen sooo many changes over the years!
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Dean wrote:Thanks Jeff...will check it out soon.

It was interesting to see the Circuit City closing...as that center has seen sooo many changes over the years!
No kidding. Just the anchors:

Albertsons --> Workplace --> Office Depot
Sav-on --> Osco --> Sav-on --> CVS

Zodys (Split in two)
Zodys --> Circuit City --> 99cent Only Store
Zodys --> Grocery Warehouse --> Max Foods --> Albertsons

Ole's --> Builders Emporium --> Circuit City --> ????

Jack LaLanes --> Nothing --> Something --> Nothing (its been empty pretty much since the spa left)

Then all the small pads.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Don't remember that being an Ole's. Wasn't it Angel's, Dooley's or something other than Ole's or Builder's prior? I remember going there with my grandfather.

Jack's...had been a church for a spell!

Don't forget the bank out front...Gibraltor Savings to Security Pacific to B of A !!
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

I remember it being OLE's in the early 80's...maybe it was something before Ole's.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Jeff wrote:
Dean wrote:Thanks Jeff...will check it out soon.

No kidding. Just the anchors:

Albertsons --> Workplace --> Office Depot
Sav-on --> Osco --> Sav-on --> CVS

Zodys (Split in two)
Zodys --> Circuit City --> 99cent Only Store
Zodys --> Grocery Warehouse --> Max Foods --> Albertsons

Ole's --> Builders Emporium --> Circuit City --> ????

Jack LaLanes --> Nothing --> Something --> Nothing (its been empty pretty much since the spa left)

Then all the small pads.
Jeff,

Noticed Office Depot is relocating across the center. What was in the spot it is taking?

Also, any word if anything is going into Office Depot? It really was huge for an office supply store! Enjoyed seeing the old Albertsons ceilings.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Its odd that Office Depot moved into such a small space from such a large store. It can't be more than 1/8th the size of the original!

Ross Dress for less is slated to move in once Office Depot moves out, which looks like soon. I just hope the hints of the old Albertsons (the old air vent above the old meat department, the old doors) stay the same.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Returned to the center.

Office Depot is in their new quarters. Feels like a "Super-Kinko's"! What was in the site they are in now?

Peeked in the old Office Depot. Are the vents you are referencing the large rectangular thing on the back wall? Comically, people kept telling me they moved across the lot. Don't they know I "need" to look in there!?! :)

Noticed the far left side of the CVS (former Sav-on) is NOT being used. They covered the doors in brown paint or something. Yet, the lights are still on, and you can "peek" thru the door and see in! :)

FINALLY made it across the street to Smart & Final EXTRA! LOVED the flooring! Just ripped the old tiling off, and exposed the concrete. So cool! Also, so glad they left the tall/long LUCKY windows along the right hand corner. Lastly, as mentioned above, how they left the old LUCKY trapezoid-type sign on the street...ah nostalgic!

thanks Jeff!