Max Foods Montebello Closing

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

jacval

Max foods Closing? Montebello 2007

Post by jacval »

When I went there in August 2007 the employees told me they were just remodeling not closing down. I know all most all the employees I've been going there 17 years. Re: Max Foods montebello. They said they will reopen sometime in either October or November[
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

I've been shopping there since Albertsons was next door.

I always loved Martha, the checker. She was at the Albertsons, then transferred somewhere for a bit, then was at Max Foods. I don't know if she will be back, or if she was even around at the end of Max Foods.
luckysaver
Veteran

Max Foods Montebello

Post by luckysaver »

Drove by today - entire front facade removed.

Is it going to remain Max Foods or rename Lucky/Albertsons? I understand this was the last operating Max Foods in SoCal (under Supervalu). The "Max Foods" sign remains on the Montebello Plaza sign on Via Campo.

No pharmacy? Maybe CVS next door is doing better than Savon!

luckysaver
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Max Foods will be no more.

Its going to be an Albersons, a return to the shopping center after 20 years (the original Albertsons is where Office Depot is).

Also, it could be there and just not listed on the plans. Who knows.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Dean wrote:Wise move. The current Albertsons is so small, and old.

Only fitting that Albertsons is "returning" to the center...after assuming the LUCKY site years ago.

I remember the old/original Albertsons had it spelled out across the front so distinctly A L B E R T S O N S !!
Was that way yesterday...quite interesting!

Albertsons/former Lucky
Had not been inside the site in years. Enjoyed the OLD mats/pads to activate the automatic door! Was surprised to still see the former LUCKY orange & teal colors! Store is larger than I remembered. Will TJs assume the entire store? Seems large for a TJs.

Max Foods
Wow! The former ZODYS facade is FINALLY gone after all these years!

Office Depot/former Albertsons
Was looking up at the letters across the front of the store...trying to see where A L B E R T S O N S used to be spelled out. Thought I could still see a number of the electrical spots. Did notice how many doors that Albertsons had had as entrances/exits! Office Depot utilizes the main in the center...but there are a number of others blocked off/not used!

HealthCare Partners Medical Office
Enjoyed the SMORGY'S labelscar still quite visible!

thanks for keeping us informed Jeff!
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Dean wrote:
Dean wrote:Wise move. The current Albertsons is so small, and old.

Only fitting that Albertsons is "returning" to the center...after assuming the LUCKY site years ago.

I remember the old/original Albertsons had it spelled out across the front so distinctly A L B E R T S O N S !!
Was that way yesterday...quite interesting!

Albertsons/former Lucky
Had not been inside the site in years. Enjoyed the OLD mats/pads to activate the automatic door! Was surprised to still see the former LUCKY orange & teal colors! Store is larger than I remembered. Will TJs assume the entire store? Seems large for a TJs.

Max Foods
Wow! The former ZODYS facade is FINALLY gone after all these years!

Office Depot/former Albertsons
Was looking up at the letters across the front of the store...trying to see where A L B E R T S O N S used to be spelled out. Thought I could still see a number of the electrical spots. Did notice how many doors that Albertsons had had as entrances/exits! Office Depot utilizes the main in the center...but there are a number of others blocked off/not used!

HealthCare Partners Medical Office
Enjoyed the SMORGY'S labelscar still quite visible!

thanks for keeping us informed Jeff!
The Center Door in the Office Depot is not original. It was added when Workplace (before Office Depot) opened.

The only orignial enterances were the left and right doors. Also, you were able to see the old Zodys Labelscar up until they painted the building. You still could make out OPTOMITRIST on the wall....well not anymore.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

I went by and took some new pictures today:

Before:

After:

And finally, The Albersons name returns to the center. They finally removed the Max Foods name:

That sign originally had:
ZODY'S (instead of Circuit City)
Builder's Emporium (Instead of 99 Cent Store)
Albertsons (Max Foods now Albertsons Again)
J-Mac
Veteran

Post by J-Mac »

Heyyy there's something funny about that... Supervalu is back to using the two-tone blue on white for their overhead signage (which was standard prior to the ASC transaction) as opposed to the blue&white-on-blue seen after the ASC transaction or the all white-on-blue in some earlier Supervalu remodels.

Example of Supervalu white-on-blue:
From: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7591905@N0 ... 135300181/

Example of post-ASC blue-on-blue:
From: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7591905@N0 ... 135300181/
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

And note, no Sav-on Pharmacy.

Even though this store is huge at 50,000 s
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Also note its back to a two-tone A logo and not just one solid color.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

So the Albertsons sign is on the building. It is expected to open in a few weeks. Its looking really good. My only complaint is that the Albertsons sign seems small, and nothing like recent remodels in Alhambra, and new opens in the last few months. It does have the brown/tan colors of the new stores though. I can't wait to see the inside.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

The Montebello Albertsons (former Lucky) is closing. The Albertsons across the street now has shelves up and product (canned goods and such) look to be on the shelves.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

The former Max Foods, now Albertsons, looks like its going to open soon, in the next day or two I am expecting.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Well, the new Albertsons will be opening on Wednesday the 14th.
The old Albertsons will be closing on Wednesday the 21st.

Here are some pics I took today of both store exteriors:

The new building is complete:

Its funny, a set of the original Zodys doors still managed to survive a major remodel. Also, all product is being stocked:

Across the street, the former Lucky, current Albertsons, soon to be closed is doing brisk business:

The store was decked out in Lucky interior till the end:

A LABELSCAR! The old Lucky label on the freeway visible sign is starting to pop out:
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

The pharmacy in that store had been around for a long time, before Lucky was bought by American Stores. When the San Gabriel Gemco closed my mom's prescriptions got transferred to the Montebello Lucky since it was the closest Lucky store with a pharmacy.