Max Foods Montebello Closing

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

Jeff
Veteran

Max Foods Montebello Closing

Post by Jeff »

I just found out today that the last (that I know of) Max Foods in Montebello is closing.

As we recall last year, this store was to be rebranded as Lucky, and the Albertsons across the street was to close.

The liquidation is to start on August 1st. Signs on the door notify of new store hours during the liquidation, and the employees are wearing "we're moving to Albertsons Montebello" tags on their name tags.

This store was opened in the 1970s as a Zodys, then subdivided in 1987 to form a Circuit City (now a 99 cents store) and a Grocery Warehouse (which replaced the Albertsons next door). Grocery Warehouse was renamed Max Foods.

I wonder what the future holds for the store.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

I'll have to drive by the Lucky Alhambra and see....
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

So Max Foods may be closing.......

......but there is a nice big sign on the store.

Albertsons - Store Closing for Remodel.

Hmm.....maybe they are going to relocate the Albertsons across the street?
............maybe they are converting to a Luckys?
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

Jeff wrote:So Max Foods may be closing.......

............maybe they are converting to a Lucky?
That would make sense. If I remember right the MaxFoods store is much larger than the current Albertson's.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

klkla wrote:
Jeff wrote:So Max Foods may be closing.......

............maybe they are converting to a Lucky?
That would make sense. If I remember right the MaxFoods store is much larger than the current Albertson's.
Well, apparently this is happening.

Albertsons is moving from the former Lucky store across the street to where Max Foods is now. This store is larger, I am thinking a good 50,000 square foot store maybe more (this was a former Zody's department store).
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Well, I stopped by today, about a week after they announced their closing and the walls are almost bare! I took some camera phone pictures. They are announcing that the store across the street will close when they finish the remodel, somewhere around the holidays.

The store was extremely dead today too for some reason. It was always crowded on any given day. Also, the package seen was originally a Grocery Warehouse package that never changed from the opening in 1987.

Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

http://www.centrowatt.com/PropertyProfi ... =PCAMONTP1

Just found that the Max Foods store is 52,000 sq ft.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Wise move. The current Albertsons is so small, and old.

Only fitting that Albertsons is "returning" to the center...after assuming the LUCKY site years ago.

I remember the old/original Albertsons had it spelled out across the front so distinctly A L B E R T S O N S !!
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

I wonder if they are going to remodel the exterior in the process!
MBZ321
Contributor

Post by MBZ321 »

I'm assuming the entrance/exterior is left over from its past life as a discount store? Looks kind of odd on a grocery store.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

MBZ321 wrote:I'm assuming the entrance/exterior is left over from its past life as a discount store? Looks kind of odd on a grocery store.
Yes, that was the original main entrance from the Zody's store.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

According to the employees in the Max Foods, the store should be closed for no more than 2.5 months for the remodel.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

I'll keep a progress report on the conversion.

It looks like today is the last day of operation, as they already moved shelving out of the store, and a trailer now sits outside the store in the parking lot. I'm assuming tomorrow the Max Foods sign comes down.....and underneath, labelscars possibly for both Zodys and Grocery Warehouse!
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Went by today. most items remaining are 75% off.
Store is to close on Thursday.

They already have taken out a lot of the shelves, tore out the deli area, and started ripping out the wall of the produce area. They also tore out the big old walk in freezer in the center of the freezer area.

Work is going full scale already.

Here is an oddity.

The old Zody's Montebello on Via Campo still retains some original paint job in it.

They tore out the deli area in the Max Foods and the original Purple, Plum, Pink tones of the Zody's store are still painted on the wall! It was hidden above the ceiling line of the Deli for the last 21 years. Only this one wall has it, but still, amazing to see that its still there.

I took a picture on my camera phone. I'll try and post later.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

So, finally for the first time in a couple weeks, stuff is actually happening.

The old Zody's store wood front has been papered over for stucco.

Inside, still getting gutted out and redone.

Across the street, a layout of the new store can be seen the old Albertsons. Its basically going to have the same layout as the Max Foods, but remodeled to the new Albertsons style, plus it will have a Bakery (something Max didn't have), a Floral area.......but no Pharmacy?! At least that what it looks like.

How can you go from a 30,000 sq ft store with a pharmacy to a 50,000 sq ft and have no pharmacy.

Oh, and expect a "coffee bar" (aka Starbucks) in the future there.