Vons and Jensens, Palm Desert, CA

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

Dean
Veteran

Re: Vons and Jensens, Palm Desert, CA

Post by Dean »

klkla wrote:
Dean wrote:The VONS on 111 near The River closed.
That was also in Palm Desert?
Rancho Mirage.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Dean wrote:
klkla wrote:
Dean wrote:The VONS on 111 near The River closed.
That was also in Palm Desert?
Rancho Mirage.
Former VONS is completely cleared on the inside. They left NOTHING! Ha! Bare to the walls.

Site was never LIFESTYLED...had the "quick" Safeway remodel with the white walls, with the "frames" around the upper edges.

Still have funny memories of the time I helped an older shopper at this site. (See 8/11/07 post at beginning of this thread.)

Former LONGS is now CVS.
Dean
Veteran

Re:

Post by Dean »

Dean wrote:Okay...noticed another twist to this situation! Ha!

The current Palm Desert VONS (former Safeway) is in the Palms to Pines WEST Plaza.

In the Palms to Pines EAST Plaza is RITE AID, 99 CENT ONLY STORES, and STAPLES.

Is it safe to assume, that 99 and/or Staples was the old Safeway, and Safeway built a new store in the WEST plaza, that ultimately became VONS? The EAST PLAZA signage looks older & dated...so I would believe that center was built first.

Safeway & Thrifty Drug tended to be in many centers together. I assume that this Rite Aid is a former Thrifty Drug. I would gander that 99 & Staples moved into exisiting buildings...possibly a Safeway?!

Lastly, the Denny's across in the street (on 111, just west of Monterey)...is that a replacement Denny's for the current Baker's Square (on 111, just east of Monterey)? The Baker's Square sure looks like an ancient Denny's.

Thanks again!
The original Denny's 73075 Hwy 111 (west of Monterey) which became Baker's Square, is just about ready to repopen as Panera Bread.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Dean wrote:VONS/Safeway is attempting to move their Palm Desert location to the vacant Mervyn's down the street. It was listed in the local paper that it is going to the Planning Commission.

Comically, the current site (which this thread began) was completely LIFESTYLED. Now...potentially moving!

Further down the street (Highway 111) the VONS at that site closed.

The former Mervyn's would be a HUGE VONS!
The City of Palm Desert planning commission has approved the move. It is now going to the City Council for the final vote.

The site is essentially mid-point between the current site, and the closed Rancho Mirage site.

http://www.mydesert.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a ... 1102020302