The almost-all-request west coast photo tour Oct. 2007...

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

Well here's the list I have:

http://www.westofmichigan.com/images/list.tiff

(small, under 200k)

The only hole is that I have no idea where this Holiday is in Willow, any directions should help on this.
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

If you take the offramp to Willow (I think there is only one; this is the offramp with the Wal Mart, a Chevron, and the rest of the nice looking businesses in town a few hundred feet from the highway). Just drive down that street eastbound. Eventually you will hit Tehama Street (5 min) and the Holiday is at the intersection of Tehama and that street, facing Tehama. You also pass what I believe is the northern-most Circle K Store run by Coche Tard. I suggest following speed limits in that town.

Edit:

I figured out the mistake I made. The town is called "Willows" and not "Willow."

The store is at the intersection of North Wood (162) and South Tehama (Country Road 99).
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

I figured out the mistake I made. The town is called "Willows" and not "Willow."

The store is at the intersection of North Wood (162) and South Tehama (Country Road 99).
Got it. It's at 255 N Tehama St.

I've got the route mapped 17 stops total, not including my personal stops (obviously), looks like I'm set to go. Now to wait on my leave...

TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

If you take 99 instead of 5 from Stockton to the Bakersfield area, you could hit up the former marina Safeway out in Selma (south of Fresno)...
Chris Sampang
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

TheStranger wrote:If you take 99 instead of 5 from Stockton to the Bakersfield area, you could hit up the former marina Safeway out in Selma (south of Fresno)...
Do you haea location on that, or know what it's currently operating as, and I'll put it on my map, I've never taken 99 down, so I'm game for it...
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

There is also a Save Mart in Bakersfield that was a new build Ralphs in about 2003. I think the address is 9600 Hageman
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

The former Safeway (Gable and a half, not a Marina) is at the intersection of McCall and Arrants in Selma. I was there last year and the interior is basically untouched from when Safeway left it. (This store had the early 80's interior) There are even ads left in the aisle hangers that were there when the store was a Safeway. (Scottowels and some cereal come to mind) It's not hard to get to from 99, either -- just take the Floral Ave. exit, go South on McCall and you'll be there in a short time.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?fo ... &geodiff=1

Also, in Fresno, there's the Ventura Market which is a Marina building and when I was last there the wall graphics were vintage 60's Safeway, but the gondola shelving had been replaced with awful warehouse shelving that totally changed the character of the place. (Picture a tiny Food 4 Less...)
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

If you're going down 99, the Stockton and Bakersfield and Fresno sections of Groceteria will be great resources...I still am curious about that one marina-shaped thing in the Stockton section that looks awfully like it was ex-Safeway, but that I am not sure about...
Chris Sampang
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

That marina shaped building in Stockton is definitely not a former Safeway. It is not much deeper than a 7-11. There is no way.

Next to it is a small gable structure that may be a gable Raleys or gable Lucky.
Paper or Plastic
Contributor

latif's restaraunt

Post by Paper or Plastic »

While traveling down 99 stop at -> Latif's Restaurant (209) 634-5351 111 N Golden State Blvd, Turlock, CA <-

it's another one you will enjoy!
surfingdude
Contributor

Post by surfingdude »

If it is not too late, here is another you might enjoy. Former Safeway Marina at Clark Avenue and Bradley Road in Orcutt. Safeway opened around 1964. The exterior is one of the best preserved marinas I have seen. The interior was extensively remodeled by Longs Drugs recently, and now includes a drop ceiling.
You can exit the 101 Freeway at Clark Avenue, and turn left. The store is in a center at the NEC of Clark and Bradley approximately 1.5 miles from the 101.
If you have time, try Chef Ricks for lunch. Chef Ricks is located directly across Bradley Road, in the same building as the now closed Lucky/Ralphs.
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

I leave for the trip tomorrow evening. I have a web gallery online at:

http://gallery.mac.com/aslater18#100023

This has the ability for me to post pictures via my laptop, but also allows me to email pictures straight from my cell phone!
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

I've got the first set of pictures up. Ray's in Yreka seems to still retain the lettering from the 1960's Safeway ecor, since it matches the font in this one from Oakland here on the site, though they've updates the look with newer colors:

Safeway (Oakland, CA on Grand Ave.)

Ray's (Yreka, CA)

Ray's in Weed had a small parking lot, making it difficult to get a good shot of the facade, and the interior looked very plain, not matching any Safeway schemes I've seen on this site:

Ray's (Weed, CA)

In Mount Shasta, the address given for the Rite Aid is a small, weeded lot in front of the CHP station on the west side of I-5. Immediately east of I-5 is a bunch of retail, but no sign of a Rite Aid or a building looking like the one on this site, which is labeled as the Mount Shasta location:

And finally, in Willows, the Holiday store. I wish I could have taken some more pictures here, the layout of the store is very strange, it's like there were two different stores with the wall removed, the section to the left of the entrance has a lower ceiling and the aisles perpendicular to the rest of the store. The interior is likely Holiday's own.

Holiday (Willows, CA)

Holiday (Willows, CA) I like this, the 'dairy & deli' section is filled with beer!

Of course, there's more pics on my site, and I plan on getting over to the Albertsons/Lucky here in Hayward sometime today.
J-Man
Veteran

Ray's Aisle Hanger

Post by J-Man »

You'd think they'd give a little more thought to the way they list things on the aisle hangers-- Ray's 1B combo of "DAIRY - CHEESE - DIAPERS" is pretty disgusting. (Or at least unappetizing!)
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

Went to the Lucky on Mission Ave. in Hayward today. The main reason I was interested to see what Save Mart did to this store is because it was a relatively recent (less than 5 yrs old, I think) Albertsons with a modern decor (no drop ceilings, etc.). It looks like the sherbet theme actually worked well into this design. As always, more pics are on my site at:

http://gallery.mac.com/aslater18#100023&bgcolor=black

Lucky (Hayward, CA)

Lucky (Hayward, CA)