Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

Dean
Veteran

JONS Markets--Southern California

Post by Dean »

What's the story behind this chain?

Their site states:

Founded in 1977, Jons Marketplace is a family-owned supermarket chain serving the diverse communities of Southern California.

http://www.jonsmarketplace.com

Were they primarily old VONS sites?! I remember years ago seeing one off The 10 in LA. It obviously had been a VONS...as the red J in JONS was brighter than the ONS! Plus, it had the large windows in front...typical of VONS.

They have maintained the red colors...as has VONS.

Would think the name was too similar...and VONS would've protested.
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

I had wondered the same thing after seeing an episode of Malcolm In The Middle filmed at a Jons. I assumed that they filmed in a Vons and just changed the name for their purposes. Research proved me wrong on that one.
scanman2
Contributor

Jons

Post by scanman2 »

Yes many of them were Vons. When the 1st store was opened they chose this name to save money on the signage. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the founders name is John Berberian.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

There is a store on Nordhoff and Woodley in North Hills that opened as a Vons in the late 50s, and closed about 5 years ago and became a Jons. It closed about 2 years ago. The label scar is still there...it's a Vons labelscar! 50 years of a V trumps a couple of years as a J...

Malcom in the Middle taped at the CBS Studio Center in Studio City (the Radford lot). There is a former Lucky/Albertsons, current Jons at the corner of Magnolia and Laurel Canyon where I bet they filmed. I believe that store is a former Thriftimart but I don't remember if I have ever confirmed it.
Dean
Veteran

Re: JONS Markets--Southern California

Post by Dean »

Noticed in a recent commercial for SWIFFER...that the exterior of a JONS Market is used.

A tree obstructs the full view of the name...yet, it is obviously JONS.
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

I saw that too. No mistaking that yellow triangle poking out from behind that tree!
OldBlueValiant
Contributor

Post by OldBlueValiant »

There is a Jons Market on the corner of Cochran and Tapo Canyon in Simi Valley. Any supermarket fan who went in, like I did, can tell it was obviously a former Lucky by looking at the 90s Lucky trim. Jons feels like a small town market in my opinion, does it feel that way to you?
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

The Jons in the Swiffer commercial is the Reseda location. You can't tell initially, because the shot in the commercial is the rear entrance, facing Wyandotte Street. Of course it took two passes on Google Maps, and it was the last on their location list, but here's the street view:

==========
Aaron
"his foxtail-wielding skills are unparalleled, dust bunnies fear his name"
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

The Reseda store is a former Food Giant which later became a Vons. The Simi Valley store is indeed a former Lucky.

What I find interesting about Jons is how they have adapted to the local neighborhood. If you go to the Van Nuys Blvd store you'll find a large selection of Hispanic foods. I have friends who could afford to shop anywhere they want and they shop at the Winnetka store because it has specialty produce and other high-end items that are reminiscent of Gelson's.