ABC Markets South Central Los Angeles

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

scanman2
Contributor

ABC Markets South Central Los Angeles

Post by scanman2 »

I saw in other posts some mentions of ABC Markets. In the 80's Superior was competing with them agressively. I remember at least 2 of the stores on Manchester. Superior had a lady that was the GM buyer that stated that the main office for ABC was located in a basement below one of the stores and that it had been a mortuary and the cooler arches were visible and bricked in. Any help from anybody out there about ABC Markets? I did like their logo which was a guy that looked like a clerk in a grocery store from the 60's holding up an OK sign with his fingers. I believe they were bought out in that Ron Burkle take over with Alpha Beta.
scanman2
Contributor

ABC Markets

Post by scanman2 »

i believe the 2 ABC's on Manchester were converted into Ralphs after the Ron BUrkle debackel lol
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

In 1987 ABC had 7 stores. By 1991 they were part of Yucaipa, Ron Burkle's empire.
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

My mom worked as a checker/booker keeper for the ABC Market on the corner of Vermont/Vernon before I was born and when I was young. The main office for ABC Markets according to her,was/is the Food4Less on Main and 52nd. If my memory serves me right, ABC Markets were converted into BOYS markets then BOYS markets into Ralphs.
Pavilions, the new, the unusal, the BEST of everything!
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

steps wrote:My mom worked as a checker/booker keeper for the ABC Market on the corner of Vermont/Vernon before I was born and when I was young. The main office for ABC Markets according to her,was/is the Food4Less on Main and 52nd. If my memory serves me right, ABC Markets were converted into BOYS markets then BOYS markets into Ralphs.
That makse sense... the corporate name was MANCHESTER MAIN CORP.