Carlsbad, CA Vons Old/Unusual Interior

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

storewanderer
Veteran

Carlsbad, CA Vons Old/Unusual Interior

Post by storewanderer »

Very old interior, one I have never seen before http://www.samauctions.com/
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Carlsbad, CA Vons Old/Unusual Interior

Post by Groceteria »

This looks really generic to the point that it reminds me of the Safeway/former Brentwood on El Camino in South San Francisco: sort of like they took over a lone store from someone else, slapped up a little paint, and then never renovated it, perhaps thinking they'd close it down before long.
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

If my mind is not playing tricks on me, that lettering is from the very early 80's Vons interior package and would have been surrounded by painted stripes in shades of browns and oranges similar to the stripes in the tile in the floor. (There may also have been some wood accents behind the lettering but my memory isn't clear on that) The original store on Kings Canyon & Clovis in Fresno had that early 80's interior when it opened in 1985 but was remodeled into the "red and white" interior about 5 years later.
shane
Contributor

Post by shane »

There is a Vons in lancaster that had this same strange interior when opened back in 1979. The stores adress is 2058 W. AVE J
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

Daniel wrote:If my mind is not playing tricks on me, that lettering is from the very early 80's Vons interior package and would have been surrounded by painted stripes in shades of browns and oranges similar to the stripes in the tile in the floor.
The tile definitely gives it away. That was the flooring used in the late 70's through mid 80's and the walls would have looked similar to what you described. It looks like they just didn't want to spend the money to do a full remodeling when they were introducing the gray, black and red interior of the late 80's and just painted the walls, signs and refrigeration plus a few other enhancements.
wolvie
Contributor

Post by wolvie »

I remember when this Vons opened (1982-83). It was indeed an old late '70s/early '80s interior that they never really replaced, apparently. When Vons went with the white/red/black design by 1988 or so, this particular store was simply painted over but not remodeled.

I wish I could see the photos (I can't seem to access them). I hadn't been in there in years.
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Groceteria wrote:This looks really generic to the point that it reminds me of the Safeway/former Brentwood on El Camino in South San Francisco: sort of like they took over a lone store from someone else, slapped up a little paint, and then never renovated it, perhaps thinking they'd close it down before long.
Ditto.

This site reminds me of the current Hesperia CA VONS on Main Street.

Originally a Safeway, they have simply done a little of this and that over the years...yet, have never had a true remodel.

They painted the FRONT of the store, yet, left the side facing the side street, the original color.

There is still a dated faux brick-styled flooring in the liquor area.

The "deli" is a free-standing "island" that was obviously added/plopped into the store.