trying to locate former Market Basket on Whittier Blvd

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

GaryED44
Contributor

trying to locate former Market Basket on Whittier Blvd

Post by GaryED44 »

This is in the city of whittier I think this current big lots is the former Market Basket

But I'm not sure I think it was an Albertsons just before Big Lots.
The address is 13231 Whittier Blvd cross street Painter

Gary
Dean
Veteran

Re: trying to locate former Market Basket on Whittier Blvd

Post by Dean »

Indeed a Market Basket. It was then Ralphs.

When The Quad across the street re-built after the earthquake, Ralphs assumed the site where Vons was located.

The former site opened as Pic-N-Sav, with the entire site. Largest Pic @ the time, with longest hours...I believe 24hrs a day. Pic later made the site smaller by putting up a wall. Extreme left side sat vacant for a spell. Chain then became Big Lots. Chain ultimately assumed the vacant area for the furniture for what is currently there.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Originally the left side of the store used to be PlayCo toys after Ralphs left, with the right side being Pic N Save. When PlayCo closed, it was vacant for years, before Pic N Save took over the entire store.

Around the early 90's they extended the original design to the east (right side of the picture - you can see the split in the tile)
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Jeff wrote:Originally the left side of the store used to be PlayCo toys after Ralphs left, with the right side being Pic N Save. When PlayCo closed, it was vacant for years, before Pic N Save took over the entire store.

Around the early 90's they extended the original design to the east (right side of the picture - you can see the split in the tile)
Hey Jeff...didn't the PlayCo conversion AFTER the entire site opened as Pic? I seem to recall the entire site...and the Times and/or Tribune trumpeted the SIZE of the Pic! Thanks for confirming!

When the Redlands VONS closed (~1994), the similar thing happened. Exactly the same building. Yet, this time, Pic solely took the left side...with the intent a toy store would move into the right side. It never happened. The side sat vacant until Big Lots took the rest for furniture.
GaryED44
Contributor

Post by GaryED44 »

Thanks Guys

My Mom told me she used to go to a Market Basket on Whittier Blvd somewhere near the quad. Thank you for the confirmation :)

Gary