Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

Dean
Veteran

Stop-N-Go

Post by Dean »

I found the following:

http://www.stop-n-go.com/histroy.htm

Is this the same convenience store chain that was in Southern California?

I remember that most of them had become Circle K. I had thought the entire chain died. Possibly just left So Cal?

Couple former sites that are now independent:

Hacienda Heights CA--Gale Avenue @ Turnbull Canyon Road
San Bernardino CA--40th Street @ Waterman Avenue.
circlekkid
Contributor

Re: Stop-N-Go

Post by circlekkid »

As a former employee of stop-n-go I will state that what you discovered is another chain not related to them. National Convenience Stores inc. Houston Texas(owner of Stop-n-Go) was purchased by Diamond /Shamrock /Valero oil co. who still operate Valero gas stations with the Stop-n-Go markets branding in Texas. All stores in Calif. and Arizona (Shop-n-Go)were traded with Circle K in the late 80's . This combined with the massive takeover of Thrifty gas stations in Calif. and new store modernization next to existing stores led to CK's eventual bankruptcy filings.
jamcool
Veteran

Re: Stop-N-Go

Post by jamcool »

circlekkid wrote:As a former employee of stop-n-go I will state that what you discovered is another chain not related to them. National Convenience Stores inc. Houston Texas(owner of Stop-n-Go) was purchased by Diamond /Shamrock /Valero oil co. who still operate Valero gas stations with the Stop-n-Go markets branding in Texas. All stores in Calif. and Arizona (Shop-n-Go)were traded with Circle K in the late 80's . This combined with the massive takeover of Thrifty gas stations in Calif. and new store modernization next to existing stores led to CK's eventual bankruptcy filings.
This was the Karl Eller era at Circle K..the 80s, when former media baron Eller attempted to make CK an equal to 7-11 by buying first U-Tote-M, then the Little General and Charter stores in the South, then finally a large chunk of Shop-N-Go and an number of Thrifty outlets in CA. All of this led to Circle Ks often across the street from each other - which is happening again as Couche-Tard/Circle K has bought Exxon/Mobil's "On The Run" stores.