Lucky-Livermore, Calif.-2930 Pacific Avenue-1980 Earthquake

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

Jason B.
Veteran

Lucky-Livermore, Calif.-2930 Pacific Avenue-1980 Earthquake

Post by Jason B. »

In time for the 30th anniversary of the 5.5 earthquake that struck Livermore, Calif. (eastern Alameda County), I have found a color photograph of the exterior of what appears to be the Lucky supermarket at 2930 Pacific Avenue. See: http://nisee.berkeley.edu/elibrary/Image/R0243

The earthquake on 24 January 1980 apparently damaged a front window of this Lucky supermarket. I have not confirmed that the 2930 Pacific Avenue store is the one depicted; it is just my best informed guess.

This store opened in late 1959. It was approximately 16,000 square feet. It was the first Lucky store in Livermore. It closed in March 1980 when the new Lucky store in downtown Livermore (Railroad Avenue, since demolished) opened. The store at 2930 Pacific Avenue was expanded and extensively renovated in 1982-83. It re-opened as the first Nob Hill Foods supermarket in Livermore in April 1983; Nob Hill closed this location in late 2002. It is now vacant.
bigbubby
Contributor

Re: Lucky-Livermore, Calif.-2930 Pacific Avenue-1980 Earthquake

Post by bigbubby »

That is definitely the Pacific Avenue Lucky. Somewhere online (not this website) there is a picture of that store from 1959 and the store looked exactly the same, at least in black and white- I don't know if red was the original color or if Lucky was still using yellow and green for their stores in 1959.

(Slightly off-topic, but that earthquake was quite a shaker for those of us in the far east bay at the time. I was only four months old so I have no memory of the event, but my brother said the TV started to roll across the floor. Intense shaking like that is usually reserved for San Francisco and Oakland, not the boondocks of Tracy.)