Can Anyone Decipher How Old This 7-Eleven Is?

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

StoreLiker2006
Veteran

Can Anyone Decipher How Old This 7-Eleven Is?

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

Here is a 7-Eleven store located on the Venice and Sepulveda Boulevards in western Los Angeles, California.

(photo credit: T.N. Jones aka Tortuga One @ Flickr)

This photo was taken while the store was getting its Kwik-E-Mart wrapping removed and regular 7-Eleven wrapping reinstated.

The clues I have discovered are, that behind the '70s-'80s style facade addition, I can see a '60s-style shake roof just behind it. So, may you all know how old this 7-Eleven store really is?

This also makes me want to ask you all: were there any '60s-early '70s 7-Elevens, those with shake roofs and semi-pylons, rebuilt with the mansard facades in the later '70s and '80s?

~Ben
enginecapt
Contributor

Re: Can Anyone Decipher How Old This 7-Eleven Is?

Post by enginecapt »

Is that slump stone masonry? If so, that came into popular use back in the late sixties.
Help with Everyday Low Prices
circlekkid
Contributor

Post by circlekkid »

I would say mid to late 70's approx 1975. most 7-11s that I saw being built were very similar to this. Google the address. You may get lucky and find real estate info with the date.
StoreLiker2006
Veteran

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

I am led to believe the remnants of the shingled roof were originally red instead of brown.

Here in Portland, Oregon, the 7-Elevens seemed to go for the flat mansard roof (as is seen here) after about 1973.

~Ben
tkaye
Veteran

Post by tkaye »

The L.A. County Assessor's site says it was built in 1976.