Pomona (Phillips Ranch area) supermarkets update

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

luckysaver
Veteran

Pomona (Phillips Ranch area) supermarkets update

Post by luckysaver »

The southwestern part of the City of Pomona near the junction of Highways 60 and 71, better known as Phillips Ranch is home to 2 supermarkets:

WinCo Foods #57 - opened 2005. Former HomeBase/House2Home. I've been to all 3 incarnations of this building. The other two stores that I visited (Temecula on Winchester Rd and Fontana on Foothill Blvd) all have different layouts.

Grand Mart International Food - opened September 30 2010. First opened in 1979 as Lucky, then 1999 became Albertsons and closed sometime in 2006. After Albertsons closed, a local developer originally planed a new concept for an asian/international supermarket with the Asian majority now living in that part of the city. The original concept was Imperial Harvest Market, which changed its name to Great Harvest Market, which then changed its name to Grand Mart International Food. This Korean-operated chain is their first west coast location, as they are primarily located back east in the New York New Jersey area. The former Ace Hardware next door first opened as Thrifty, later Rite Aid before becoming the now vacant Phillips Ranch Ace. I visited Albertsons a couple of years before they closed and was quite a quiet store. All that remains from Albertsons is the "ENTER" and "EXIT" front door decals. Grand Mart's supplier of US groceries is from Unified Western as they use Springfield/Special Value/Golden Creme as their American house brands. Inside, there is a service deli, service meat/seafood, OTC counter which doubles as a customer service office, and service bakery. Grocery aisles are separated by geographic region, with the western one-third for US groceries, the middle for Latino/Asian, and produce/refrigerated on the right. The large produce department has a lot of interesting fruits/veggies not found in most American or ethnic supermarkets. The only inside tenant is a Korean woman selling shoes and small knick-knacks. The developer is now helping the City of Pomona redevelop the mostly vacant shopping center.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Mart

luckysaver