Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

Dean
Veteran

HOWS closing all but one site

Post by Dean »

From the Los Angeles times today:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-h ... full.story

The print version of the article has a picture of the Granada Hills store listed within the article. The article mentions that the store had been Ralphs. From the picture...it is evident that the site had been originally an Alpha Beta.

Also, this site is right below the cul-de-sac used on the TV show KNOTS LANDING. Believe the Alpha Beta exterior and parking lot areas were used in a few episodes.
klkla
Veteran

Re: HOWS closing all but one site

Post by klkla »

I remenber it as an Alpha Beta, too. It must have ben a Ralphs for just a short period in between.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

The Pasadena store was a Ralphs location prior.

I was not as happy with HOWS prices compared to the old Hughes chain. They were definitely more expensive and even though the quality was good, it still didn't beat Hughes.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

The Granada Hills style of store was used often within Alpha Beta. I assume their version of the Safeway Marina-style stores.

Other sites with the same building (off the top of my head!):

City of Industry (now Fresco's Market)
Basset (now Ralphs)
San Bernardino (now Smart & Final)
Redlands (a Hispanic market)

I believe discussed on another thread...yet, to the right of the right-hand entrance, on a stone facade, they placed the "name" of the store. Generally the town, yet in the City of Industry's case, it said Turnbull, which was the side street next to the store.
Bearhawke
Contributor

Post by Bearhawke »

Jeff wrote:The Pasadena store was a Ralphs location prior.

I was not as happy with HOWS prices compared to the old Hughes chain. They were definitely more expensive and even though the quality was good, it still didn't beat Hughes.
Wow: I forgot all about Hughes out of SoCal..........they went out ca. 1984?
Bearhawke in Arizona
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

Bearhawke wrote:Wow: I forgot all about Hughes out of SoCal..........they went out ca. 1984?
They were bought out by Ralphs around 1999 IIRC.
Bearhawke
Contributor

Post by Bearhawke »

klkla wrote:
Bearhawke wrote:Wow: I forgot all about Hughes out of SoCal..........they went out ca. 1984?
They were bought out by Ralphs around 1999 IIRC.
I was wondering. I do remember the store near Venice Beach (Washington Blvd?) closing down ca. 1984-86 hence my thinking the whole company went out. Note I lived in Pico Rivera from 1985-89 (no Hughes Markets there) then wound up here in Arizona.
Bearhawke in Arizona
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Note there is a thread devoted to Hughes:

http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtop ... lit=hughes

HOWS was started by Hughes family members after the acquisition of Hughes.
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

Dean,

ValleyMax in Escondido was a Ralphs with a similar exterior to Rosemead Supermarket.

Do you remember DiHo Market in City of Industry on Gale (a branch of the store that was popular in Monterey Park in 1989)? I thought it was the Alpha Beta/Ralphs/Fresco building, or it might be one of the strip malls near Stimson.

The old 99 Price/Ranch Market (1987-1992) recently opened as Payless Foods after being vacant for at least 10 years. It was a bowling alley in the 1960's.