Does anybody remember All American Mkts. in So. Calif?

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

wayne winterland jr.
Contributor

Does anybody remember All American Mkts. in So. Calif?

Post by wayne winterland jr. »

Does anybody remember the small 10 store chain called All American Markets in Southern California. This was the same chain that Albertson's bought out to make its entry into the Southern California Grocery Arena.
The thing that I remembered most was that the All American Markets each had a gigantic American Flag in front of each of their stores and that was a nice touch for name recognition.
I was sorry to see the stores changed to Albertson's

Thanks, WinterWayne land Jr.
enginecapt
Contributor

Re: Does anybody remember All American Mkts. in So. Calif?

Post by enginecapt »

Yes I do. The old Albertsons that was on N. El Camino Real in San Clemente started life as an All American. I believe it was the first supermarket built in that area. The building has since been razed for new development. No loss, as it was an ugly, yellow painted concrete block barn of a structure.
Help with Everyday Low Prices
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

Albertsons acquired All American in 1966, thus beginning their entry into SoCal.

An All-American Center exists somewhere in Downey and I read somewhere that there is either an Albertsons or Stater Bros at the site or nearby. Most likely a Stater Bros.

A search of the Proquest LA Times Historical Database would probably bring up PDF files of ads for AAM and in the old days, the ads for Albertsons, Lucky, Smith Food King, McDaniels, Fazios, Market Basket, etc listed all LA/San Gabriel Valley locations because of a large ad size.
If we can find the ad, chances are it would list all 10 store sites.

Then I google the address listed to find out what is in its place as of today.

luckysaver
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

I thought I had posted a list of the Great All-American Markets locations but I guess I hadn't.

Locations as of 1959:

7814 Firestone Blvd, Downey
Firestone at Pioneer, Norwalk
7511 E Orangethorpe, Buena Park
9858 Garden Grove Blvd, Garden Grove
19th & Harbor, Costa Mesa
2600 Coast Hwy at Tustin, Newport Beach
3049 Coast Hwy at Jasmine, Corona del Mar
502 N El Camino Real, San Clemente

Additional locations as of the Albertsons buy-out in 1965:

Centralia Rd at Norwalk, Artesia
606 S Brea Blvd, Brea
6381 Ball Rd, Cypress
700 S Coast Hwy, Laguna Beach
Carson at Orange St, Long Beach
1706 W. Chapman, Orange
6351 Westminster Blvd, Westminster

As was noted above, this was Albertsons' first foray into the Socal market. At the time they were already planning to enter the market with their own stores but figured this would jump start things. They had a rapid expansion into the 1970s with most of their stores in Orange County and southeast LA County. It wasn't until they bought Fazio's in 1978 that they had a more geographically diverse presence.
J-Mac
Veteran

Post by J-Mac »

Locations as of 1959:

7814 Firestone Blvd, Downey -- Discussed here: http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtop ... =27&t=1914
Firestone at Pioneer, Norwalk -- I'm not sure about this one. A 1987-build Alpha Beta exists here.
7511 E Orangethorpe, Buena -- Stater Bros via 1999 Albertsons Merger
9858 Garden Grove Blvd, Garden Grove
19th & Harbor, Costa Mesa
2600 Coast Hwy at Tustin, Newport Beach
3049 Coast Hwy at Jasmine, Corona del Mar
502 N El Camino Real, San Clemente

Additional locations as of the Albertsons buy-out in 1965:

Centralia Rd at Norwalk, Artesia -- looks like a closed grocery store. Not sure what it is today.
606 S Brea Blvd, Brea
6381 Ball Rd, Cypress -- Stater Bros via 1999 Albertsons Merger
700 S Coast Hwy, Laguna Beach
Carson at Orange St, Long Beach
1706 W. Chapman, Orange
6351 Westminster Blvd, Westminster -- hey I was always wondering what this Pic-N-Save (now BigLots) was, it sure looked like an old grocery store.

Anyway... that's all I can contribute.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Centralia and Norwalk in Hawaiian Gardens (SW Corner) used to be an Albertsons at one point, and now its the Hawaiian Gardens Post Office.

Centralia and Norwalk in Lakewood (NE Corner) at one point was a market, when I last worked out there (2006), it was a Taekwondo studio.
circlekkid
Contributor

Post by circlekkid »

aam @ 6381 ball rd. cypress became scottys independent until it was razed 10 years ago. the staters down the street was always an albertsons.
Last edited by circlekkid on 18 Jul 2008 02:54, edited 1 time in total.
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

circlekkid wrote:aam @ 6381 ball rd. cypress became scottys independent until it was razed 2 years ago. the staters down the street was always an albertsons.
I Remember Scotty's back in the late 80's and VERY early 90's... if I recall though the center was demolished closer to about 2000 or so, those homes there now have been there for some time now... (I used to live right there on Yosemite)

Either way, interesting to know what it was... I remember going there a couple times before it closed and turned into the Korean Church.
==========
Aaron
"his foxtail-wielding skills are unparalleled, dust bunnies fear his name"
Larcor
Contributor

Post by Larcor »

wayne winterland jr. wrote:Does anybody remember the small 10 store chain called All American Markets in Southern California. This was the same chain that Albertson's bought out to make its entry into the Southern California Grocery Arena.
The thing that I remembered most was that the All American Markets each had a gigantic American Flag in front of each of their stores and that was a nice touch for name recognition.
I was sorry to see the stores changed to Albertson's

Thanks, WinterWayne land Jr.
Sure do Wayne. I started work for Albertson's in 1966 just after they acquired the
All American stores. I believe there were 15 stores involved in the acquisition. I started at
the Corona Del Mar Store and was shortly promoted to 3rd Man. I was then transferred to
the Laguna Beach store as Assistant Manager. This store was still an All American store at
the time but during my tenure there it was converted to a Albertson's. Later I was transferred
to the Orange store on Chapman as the Store Manager (Store Director). And after only a few
months there I was transferred to the Tustin store on Red Hill again as Store Director. The
main office was in the Downey store on Firestone Blvd. Dusty Moulton was the Regional Manager.
Joe Albertson the owner was a frequent visitor to all of the Southern California
stores and had a great re-pore with all of us Store Directors and was well respected. I have
attached the actual photo of me as store director that was posted on a "Welcome to our
Store" Frame at the entrance of the store.
I would love to talk with anyone about my Albertson's experiences or theirs.
Larry Corbett
Attachments
Albertson'sMgr.jpg
Albertson'sMgr.jpg (3.61 KiB) Viewed 9635 times
SoCalShopOYore

Post by SoCalShopOYore »

Albertson's bought AAM in 1964 and had phased out the latter name by late 1966. The Cypress location at 6381 Ball then remained an Albertson's until August 1975 when it moved to the Cypress East Center, SW Valley View & Ball (site of today's Stater Bros.). Scotty's took over the original AAM/Albertson's about a year later.

My family's been part of Cypress since March 1964, liked AAM, and loved "little" Albertson's even more because it had the city's first full-service, in-store bakery where we bought many a cake/set of cupcakes for birthday and school parties!