Bramwell Construction Co. - Safeways built in early 1950s?

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

jkmccarthy

Bramwell Construction Co. - Safeways built in early 1950s?

Post by jkmccarthy »

I wish to identify grocery stores built by the Bramwell Construction Company in Southern California from 1952 to 1955. I know from reading this 1947 California district court decision that Bramwell was a Division of the grocery chain Safeway Stores, Inc.

My interest stems from wanting to learn more about the career and accomplishments of the original owner of a modest mid-century-modern ranch house (1582-sq.ft., built in 1952) in Westchester, CA, that my wife and I bought in 1998, and where we still reside. The original owners of our house are identified on the home's construction plans as Mr. & Mrs. Sidney M. Yoakum. Mr. Yoakum, pictured here attending a Bramwell company event in Oakland in November 1953, was a retail engineering manager for Safeway, according to his obituary that appeared in the San Mateo (CA) Times on 26-Nov-1957. Sidney Yoakum and his wife Helen S. Yoakum (nee Smithen) moved from Westchester to San Mateo in about 1955.

At present I have only been able to connect Sidney M. Yoakum to the construction of one Safeway grocery store, that having been built in 1951 at the corner of Sixth and Victoria in Corona CA. According to Google Maps' Street View, this brick building still stands and is today a U-Haul rental center. I notice that both the Corona Daily Independent newspaper's 30-Oct-1950 story on plans for that store and the Safeway 1947 California court case decision (ref. the first link in this post) mention how Bramwell would recruit local-area contractors for the actual construction of its Safeway grocery stores.

Since the Yoakums were the first residents in our house from 1952 to 1955, I would be most interested to learn what Safeway stores Bramwell Construction Company may have been building during this period in Southern California, and in Los Angeles 90045 (or nearby) especially.

Thanks in advance for any potential leads, and/or for sharing any related information,

-- Jim