Palm Springs Safeway

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

explorersea
Contributor

Palm Springs Safeway

Post by explorersea »

old timers will remember that there was a Safeway in downtown Palm Springs that operated in the 1950's to the late 60's/early 70's. The building was vacant on my last visit to the desert. The only other store with this type of architecture I can think of is in downtown Spokane Washington and is now an auto dealership.

Update: the old Safeway at 350 South Palm Canyon, Palm Springs, has been idle some time now, yesterday I noticed work going on inside the store, including updated picture of the store and one from the 1950s (same store site, old store was torn down and rebuilt in 1960?)
Attachments
Safeway PS.JPG
Palm Springs Safeway.jpg
Old Safeway PS 2013.jpg
Old Safeway PS 2013.jpg (21.66 KiB) Viewed 4669 times
Last edited by explorersea on 12 Apr 2018 08:23, edited 1 time in total.
klkla
Veteran

Re: Palm Springs Safeway

Post by klkla »

It has been a Staples Office Supply for years. Is the Staples now closed?
explorersea
Contributor

Post by explorersea »

Staples vacated the property, it is currently advertised for lease, located at 350 South Palm Canyon Way, interesting tid bit this building has a basement, I can think of one other Safeway store that still use basements for storing freight and have to use an elevator to bring pallets up and down (University Safeway in Seattle)

Building has +/- 18,780 SF on street level and a +/- 12,000 SF basement that can be used for storage. Building was previously occupied by Staples Office Supply and has previously been a Safeway Grocery Store. Building is fully sprinklered and is block construction. New Parking lot asphalt completed April 2013. Building has a truck-well loading dock and service elevator for basement access. Lot size is 1.48 acres and has 75 parking spaces. Zoning is Central Business District that allows for retail, office, restaurant and other entertainment uses.
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

explorersea wrote:interesting tid bit this building has a basement, I can think of one other Safeway store that still use basements for storing freight and have to use an elevator to bring pallets up and down (University Safeway in Seattle)

Building has +/- 18,780 SF on street level and a +/- 12,000 SF basement that can be used for storage.
The current Pavilions (owned by Safeway) in Santa Monica at Lincoln and Montana has the same set up with almost the same square footage. It is a marina store (although the front has been covered up.
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

klkla wrote:
explorersea wrote:interesting tid bit this building has a basement, I can think of one other Safeway store that still use basements for storing freight and have to use an elevator to bring pallets up and down (University Safeway in Seattle)

Building has +/- 18,780 SF on street level and a +/- 12,000 SF basement that can be used for storage.
The current Pavilions (owned by Safeway) in Santa Monica at Lincoln and Montana has the same set up with almost the same square footage. It is a marina store (although the front has been covered up.
Also Vons on Wilshire and Euclid (Vons store #2 if I remember correctly) has a basement for storage. There is a stair case in the deli going down to the basement. I remember having to run down there many times a day to get stuff for customers we didn't have on the sales floor. I don't know if anything has changed since the Lifestyle conversion.
Pavilions, the new, the unusal, the BEST of everything!