Fox Markets of California

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

Steve Landry
Veteran

Fox Markets of California

Post by Steve Landry »

Hello Wayne,

Do YOU remember the above chain? Their main office was in the southeast section of downtown Los Angeles.

They had over 50 stores in mostly Southern California and over 20 stores in Las Vegas.

In the 60's they were merged with Food Fair Stores.

Any info?

Steve :)
The Food Fair Empire
11ball

Re: Fox Markets of California

Post by 11ball »

Fox Market was the first supermarket I remember circa the late 50's. Other than a couple of mom and pop stores, I never saw another supermarket until Alpha Beta ~1962 or 3, then Thriftimart in 1964 around my neighborhood. For whatever reason, the several stores Fox had in Long Beach were called Iowa Pork Shops.

After Food Fair took them over in 1961, there was a gradual change over to the Food Fair name over the next couple of years.

DNS
Gunter Caddington
Contributor

Post by Gunter Caddington »

Gang--just a little to add about Fox Markets ...

There was a store at the NW corner of Van Nuys Blvd & Valerio Street. It seems like it wasn't a market for all that long. At some point, the interior of the building was sliced up into a virtual rat's maze of hallways and small offices that were available for rent.

The building is still there, but somewhat hidden by some smaller buildings in the parking lot, and some very mature trees.

Gunter
SwedeinLA

Post by SwedeinLA »

There was also a Fox Market On Slauson Ave. at Overhill Dr. in the Windsor Hills Shopping Center in Los Angeles in the 50's and early 60's. It's currently a self storage facility.