LA Safeways That Became Vons

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

StoreLiker2005

LA Safeways That Became Vons

Post by StoreLiker2005 »

Hi Gang,

Forgive me if you think this is an inappropriate post for this part of the forum, but I want to know the addresses of all of the former Safeways in the Los Angeles, CA area that became Vons stores in 1986.

Benjamin (StoreLiker2005)
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Former Safeways in Los Angeles

Post by Groceteria »

StoreLiker2005 wrote:Hi Gang,

Forgive me if you think this is an inappropriate post for this part of the forum, but I want to know the addresses of all of the former Safeways in the Los Angeles, CA area that became Vons stores in 1986.

Benjamin (StoreLiker2005)
Not inappropriate at all. I'd like to see this list too, although it won't be simple to compile...
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

I'll make some that were in the area, but addresses you'll have to find. most are markets unless otherwise noted:

Former Safeways now Vons or Pavillions

Anaheim - Lincoln Ave and Anaheim Blvd

Burbank - Olive Ave and Verdugo Ave (Vons - about a year ago you could still see the SAFEWAY scar on the side of the building)

Montebello - Beverly Blvd (old Thriftimart, then Safeway, now Vons)
804 Beverly Blvd
Montebello, CA 90640

Pasadena - Sierra Madre Ave and Colorado

South Pasadena (this store opened not long before Safeway left - then turned into a Pavillions, oddly enough, there is a Vons across the street)
1213 Fair Oaks Ave.
So Pasadena, CA 91030

Former Safeways closed in 1986 or after Vons took over:
East Los Angeles - Atlantic Blvd and Beverly Blvd (torn down in early 90's)
East Los Angeles - Brooklyn (Now Cesar Chavez Ave) Ave. (now Superior Market)
Monterey Park - Garvey Ave (now 99 Ranch Market)
San Gabriel - San Gabriel Blvd and Las Tunas Dr (now a chinese market of some sort)
Hawaiian Gardens - Carson St and Bloomfield, Vons just closed last month
Rowland Heights - Colima Rd near Fullerton Rd, Vons just closed recently
West Covina - Azusa Ave and Francisquito Rd, now a Marukai Japanese market
Santa Fe Springs - Telegraph Rd at Imperial Hy once a Michaels, now closed

This is harder than one might think....
mfricke
Contributor

Post by mfricke »

There are a few more I can think of:

Former Safeways that became and are still Vons stores:
1. West Los Angeles - Santa Monica Bl. and Barrington
2. Malibu - Pacific Coast Highway and Sunset
3. Ventura - East Telegraph Road

The first two were still existing Marina Safeways last time I've been by them. The third one was a Marina Safeway until it was torn down a few years ago and rebuilt as a new super store.

Former Safeways that are something else now:
1. Monrovia - 210 Fwy. & Huntington Dr (now a Marshalls)
2. Ontario - 60 Fwy. & Euclid (now a Food 4 Less)
3. Upland - Foothill & Euclid (now Chicks sporting goods)
4. Chino - Central & Philadelphia (rebuilt, now an Albertsons)
5. Valencia/Newhall - Lyons Ave. (now an empty, former Albertsons)
6. Canyon Country - Whites Cyn. & Soledad Cyn (a former Hows also, now Big Lots)
7. San Bernardino - Highland Ave. (now a county administration office)
8. Orcutt/Santa Maria - Clark Ave (now a Longs Drug, still a beautiful example of a Marina store)
9. San Dimas - Arrow Hwy. in old town (a former Marina store, torn down a few years ago to become a new Albertsons)
10. Palos Verdes - Hawthorne Bl. & P.V. Drive (former Marina store, re-built a few years ago as a day care school)
11. Hollywood - Sunset & La Brea (now a Ross store)
12. Fillmore - Hwy 126 in downtown (now a Super A Foods)
12. Canoga Park - Sherman Wy. & Topanga Cyn. (MAYBE! I'm not sure, but as a current Big Lots, the architecture looks like it could have been a Safeway)
13. Yucaipa - I do remember driving past one when I was a kid in Yucaipa on Yucaipa Blvd., but I don't remember exactly where.

There are probably many, many more, but I was young when Safeway left Southern California, so these are all that I remember.

Of the ones in Newhall and Canyon Country, there are some nice pictures of them in a local history book about the Santa Clarita Valley that can be bought in our local stores.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

The San Dimas marina store is still there. They didn't tear it down when they built the Albertsons next door. They just remodeled the exterior and subdivided the store inside.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

There is another Marina store that I discovered in post-Dodger traffic. It's at 1342 N. Alvarado and is a Vons. It's near the 2 Freeway.

The Marina store in Studio City on Ventura and Whitsett became a Bed Bath & Beyond. They did a remodel a few years ago so it doesn't look like it on the outside, but the curved roof is obvious when you are inside.
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

hey guys u missed some stores!!

Pavilions - Lincoln blvd and Montana - Santa Monica CA ( this store has the old style Safeway Building with the "curve" in the ceiling)

Pavilions - Melrose and Vine - Hollywood CA ( has been remodeled)

Pavilions - Santa Monica blvd and Robertson - West Hollywood CA ( was a Safeway then a Vons then a Pavilions)

I also think the Vons store on Lincoln and Supeveda...(sorry if any spelling errors!) was a a Safeway Super S store! since the Sav-On next door matches! it looks at one point it used to be one big store.

There's a Pavilions store in Burbank but I'm not sure if it was a safeway or not...the store is old and was just remodeled...its HUGE biggest in the company! So could it have been a "Super S store"...???

it sucks how the Pavilions chain isnt as good as it used to be...used to be all about gormet...but ever since Safeway took over in 1997...its been going down hill.....gone are the gormet meats, gormet deli meats, fresh bakery and among other things!
Pavilions, the new, the unusal, the BEST of everything!
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

Are you talking about the Pavilions on Alameda in Burbank? I believe that's always been a Pavilions. That property used to be the Pickwick Drive-In.

The Pavilions in Sherman Oaks and Beverly Hills are also former Safeways. The Pavilions in Culver City was sort of a former Safeway...that shopping center was rebuilt in the late 80's/early 90s and all of the stores to the north of Rite-Aid were rebuilt.
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

i always thought the Pavilions in culver city was aiways pavilions...was there a safeway in that location before the rebuild....?

and yes i was talkin bout the pavilions on alameda...lol
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

The structure that the Culver City Pavilions inhabits has always been a Pavilions.

But before they rebuilt that part of the shopping center, there was a Safeway there. The storefronts used to be closer to the street and when they rebuilt, everything was setback so that all of the parking was in front. The Toys R Us was built in the late 70s I guess, then Thrifty built the current Rite Aid to replace a store that was right next to Safeway. (My dad lived just down the street from there around this time.) It wasn't until maybe 1990(?) that the rest of the center was rebuilt. To the north of the Safeway, where all the small stores are now, there was a National Lumber hardware store.
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

yep 1990 is the year i believe...i think the sign in the pavilions says "serving you since 1990" i THINK...lol...
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

there was a former Super S Store in Arcadia that is still there.

It was turned into a Vons store in 86, and Sav-On Drugs moved into the Pharmacy half.

In 89 or so, Vons closed this store when they opened a Pavillions across the street. Sav-on took over the entire store and still has it open today.
mgrmk
Contributor

Post by mgrmk »

There was also a Safeway in Sylmar at the corner of Gladstone and Hubbard just off the 210 Freeway. It was a Vons for about 6 months before it became a hispanic market. It has been several years since I have been in this area so I am not sure what if anything it is now.
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

I worked for Safeway at the time of the Vons takeover. There were 189 stores in the division at the time and I kept an old store list but have no idea where it is now. I would guess that more than half of Safeway's old stores are still open today as Vons or Pavilions.
javelin
Veteran

Post by javelin »

Hesperia at Main & I Streets, now a Vons. One of the last "new" Safeways in Southern California before the buyout.

Victorville at 7th & La Paz, became a Vons after takeover and closed around 1992 or so. Now a 99 cent store.

I had seen a scan of a postcard somewhere of a Safeway in Victorville from the 1920's in an area now occupied by a vacant lot and an AM/PM.