Vons Pantry Stores

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

Post Reply
pseudo3d
Senior Member
Posts: 304
Joined: 24 Sep 2012 00:04

Vons Pantry Stores

Post by pseudo3d » 07 Jun 2016 08:05

Just ran across them in this article. From what I can gather, they were a chain of 10 stores that Vons purchased from Cullum Cos. (of Tom Thumb fame...it would ultimately share the Safeway umbrella by 1999) and were converted to the Vons name soon after. Since Cullum had bought Pantry Stores at the same time as Hinky Dinky, and documentation suggests Cullum ran HD into the ground as they funneled most of the profits into Tom Thumb, I would imagine Pantry Stores was in poor shape and unfit to be Vons stores without significant investment.

Anyone know more about it?

klkla
Senior Member
Posts: 331
Joined: 29 Jun 2006 18:39

Re: Vons Pantry Stores

Post by klkla » 07 Jun 2016 12:48

pseudo3d wrote:Just ran across them in this article. From what I can gather, they were a chain of 10 stores that Vons purchased from Cullum Cos. (of Tom Thumb fame...it would ultimately share the Safeway umbrella by 1999) and were converted to the Vons name soon after. Since Cullum had bought Pantry Stores at the same time as Hinky Dinky, and documentation suggests Cullum ran HD into the ground as they funneled most of the profits into Tom Thumb, I would imagine Pantry Stores was in poor shape and unfit to be Vons stores without significant investment.

Anyone know more about it?
There stores were actually very nice. But most of them were pretty small and ten stores was not enough to make a dent in the Southern California market.

The biggest store was in Anaheim Hills. It had a much better bakery and deli program than Vons.

They had a store in Arcadia which is now a 99 Ranch Market. That store was closed when they built the Pavilions behind it (there's a thread about this store having recently been converted to Vons on retailwatchers.com).

The small Pavilions in Pasadena was a Pantry and still looks almost exactly as it did as a Pantry.

That's all I remember about it. I think one of the small Pavilions operating in Newport Beach may have also been a Pantry.

Jeff
Senior Member
Posts: 938
Joined: 21 Nov 2005 21:44

Re: Vons Pantry Stores

Post by Jeff » 08 Jun 2016 03:51

There was one in Hacienda Heights. It was on Azusa and became a Vons market. It closed in the 90s and is now an Asian market. It's across the street from PHM.

Steve Landry
Senior Member
Posts: 200
Joined: 04 Nov 2005 22:00
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Vons Pantry Stores

Post by Steve Landry » 08 Jun 2016 09:00

klkla wrote:
pseudo3d wrote:Just ran across them in this article. From what I can gather, they were a chain of 10 stores that Vons purchased from Cullum Cos. (of Tom Thumb fame...it would ultimately share the Safeway umbrella by 1999) and were converted to the Vons name soon after. Since Cullum had bought Pantry Stores at the same time as Hinky Dinky, and documentation suggests Cullum ran HD into the ground as they funneled most of the profits into Tom Thumb, I would imagine Pantry Stores was in poor shape and unfit to be Vons stores without significant investment.

Anyone know more about it?
There stores were actually very nice. But most of them were pretty small and ten stores was not enough to make a dent in the Southern California market.

The biggest store was in Anaheim Hills. It had a much better bakery and deli program than Vons.

They had a store in Arcadia which is now a 99 Ranch Market. That store was closed when they built the Pavilions behind it (there's a thread about this store having recently been converted to Vons on retailwatchers.com).

The small Pavilions in Pasadena was a Pantry and still looks almost exactly as it did as a Pantry.

That's all I remember about it. I think one of the small Pavilions operating in Newport Beach may have also been a Pantry.

Do you think it's possible that the Pavilions "Place" (I think it's just Pavilions now) near Beverly Hills (I want to say Beverly Glen and Beverly Bl.?) was a Pantry Store? It's the one that had a weird parking garage next to it.
The Food Fair Empire

klkla
Senior Member
Posts: 331
Joined: 29 Jun 2006 18:39

Re: Vons Pantry Stores

Post by klkla » 08 Jun 2016 12:09

Steve Landry wrote:Do you think it's possible that the Pavilions "Place" (I think it's just Pavilions now) near Beverly Hills (I want to say Beverly Glen and Beverly Bl.?) was a Pantry Store? It's the one that had a weird parking garage next to it.
That store was originally a Safeway and came to Vons when they acquired Safeway's Southern California division in 1988.

J-Man
Senior Member
Posts: 136
Joined: 07 Jul 2006 00:14
Location: Duarte, CA

Re: Vons Pantry Stores

Post by J-Man » 18 Jun 2016 11:29

Just ran across them in this article. From what I can gather, they were a chain of 10 stores that Vons purchased from Cullum Cos. (of Tom Thumb fame...it would ultimately share the Safeway umbrella by 1999) and were converted to the Vons name soon after.
The one in Duarte was always a Pantry-- never converted to Vons. It became many things after it closed -- subdivided into a stationery store and an office, an independent junior market, and eventually a Fresh and Easy. It's now empty.

User avatar
steps
Senior Member
Posts: 175
Joined: 02 Jan 2006 21:06
Location: Hollywood
Contact:

Re: Vons Pantry Stores

Post by steps » 22 Oct 2019 23:40

Ran across this picture in one of my Facebook groups of the Pasadena Pavilions as The Pantry. For years I assumed this was previously a Safeway since it was a Pavilions Place. I see they didn't just use "Place" on the smaller acquired Safeway stores in better areas.
Attachments
the pantry pasadena.jpg
Pavilions, the new, the unusal, the BEST of everything!

klkla
Senior Member
Posts: 331
Joined: 29 Jun 2006 18:39

Re: Vons Pantry Stores

Post by klkla » 24 Oct 2019 21:35

steps wrote:
22 Oct 2019 23:40
For years I assumed this was previously a Safeway since it was a Pavilions Place. I see they didn't just use "Place" on the smaller acquired Safeway stores in better areas.
I'm pretty sure they first used the Pavilions Place moniker on the stores acquired from Safeway before applying it to that store. IIRC they kept some stores operating under the Pantry name for a couple years before gradually changing them to Vons or Pavilions (or just closing them altogether).

Post Reply