1981 Safeway L.A. Division Locations List

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

bm10k
Contributor

1981 Safeway L.A. Division Locations List

Post by bm10k »

Found This On the Google News Archive in the Oxnard Press-Courier it also had the Las Vegas Locations as well
Attachments
Safeway SoCal 81 Part2.png
Safeway SoCal 81 Part1.png
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: 1981 Safeway L.A. Division Locations List

Post by Groceteria »

These lists from ads are a great help as the city directories that are such a terrific resources for other cities are not an option in LA, NYC, and some other really large cities. In many cases, they were not published after the 1940s, probably because they would have been too big. Sometimes there were versions published to cover smaller areas (e.g. Hollywood or Van Nuys) but they were sporadic at best. And as I've said before, telephone directories are all but useless.
pseudo3d
Veteran

Post by pseudo3d »

Groceteria wrote:These lists from ads are a great help as the city directories that are such a terrific resources for other cities are not an option in LA, NYC, and some other really large cities. In many cases, they were not published after the 1940s, probably because they would have been too big. Sometimes there were versions published to cover smaller areas (e.g. Hollywood or Van Nuys) but they were sporadic at best. And as I've said before, telephone directories are all but useless.
I've had mixed results with telephone directories, as sometimes they do include the store number and address (I found a lot of former Safeway stores in Houston that way). Unfortunately, back in the day, Safeway had stores in smaller towns (if not another metro area, like how Houston's original Safeway division included Austin over 150 miles away), meaning it was a lot harder to find them.
Steve Landry
Veteran

Post by Steve Landry »

Great list!!!

I noticed there does not seem to be any trace of Fox Markets in Los Angeles?

This was a pretty sizable chain that Food Fair purchased way back 1960's?

I am pretty sure there were 75 stores in S. California and 25 stores in Las Vegas.

They had a funny fox cartoonish logo in their ads.
The Food Fair Empire
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Steve, did you see the Long Beach list I posted several weeks ago? It includes the Iowa Pork Stores that apparently went on to be operated as Food Fair (rather than as Fox Markets):

http://www.groceteria.com/place/califor ... 1923-1969/
Steve Landry
Veteran

Post by Steve Landry »

Groceteria wrote:Steve, did you see the Long Beach list I posted several weeks ago? It includes the Iowa Pork Stores that apparently went on to be operated as Food Fair (rather than as Fox Markets):

http://www.groceteria.com/place/califor ... 1923-1969/

Thanks buddy, I'll check it out!

:-)
The Food Fair Empire