former safeways in the S.F. bay area that became drug stores

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

justin karimzad
Veteran

former safeways in the S.F. bay area that became drug stores

Post by justin karimzad »

Does anyone know of any former Safeways from the 1950s or 1960s in the San Francisco bay area that became drug stores? I know of a Walgreens at 3434 High St. in Oakland that was a Safeway from the 1950s, and one at 301 E 18th St. that used to be a Safeway from the 1960s. There's also a Longs Drugs at 1324 San Carlos Ave. in San Carlos that was a Safeway from about 1959.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

1300 Bush St, San Francisco >> Rite-Aid
1330 Castro St, San Francisco >> Walgreens
7100 Bancroft Av, Oakland >> Rite-Aid (this may have been a Super S)
3232 Foothill Blvd, Oakland >> Walgreens

I'll try to think of some others.
Jason B.
Veteran

Re: former safeways in the S.F. bay area that became drug stores

Post by Jason B. »

Another "Marina Safeway" building has literally bitten the dust. The former Safeway store on E. 18th Street in Oakland, Calif. between Lake Merritt and Park Blvd. had been a Walgreen's drug store, as mentioned above. When I drove by on January 31, 2010, the former Safeway building was gone. Walgreen's is temporarily fulfilling prescriptions out of a trailer (?) on the 18th Street front of the lot as the new Walgreen's building is constructed where the Marina Safeway had been. I'm not sure if Safeway ever "replaced" this Marina or if it simply abandoned the area. This likely once was one of the closest Safeway stores to its corporate headquarters when it was located in Oakland.

This stretch of 18th Street in Oakland must have been one of the greatest concentrations of chain supermarket structures in northern California in the late 20th century. Lucky operates a store nearby (Albertson's built that building in the 2000's on the site where a Lucky/Albertson's apparently had been for many years before). Mayfair used to have a supermarket nearby, too, but I'm uncertain about the fate of that building.