Safeway store moniker

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

storeliker
Contributor

Safeway store moniker

Post by storeliker »

On the old board I had started a thread about "Serving since" moniker in Safeway stores. I am noticing that with all the Lifestyle remodels they are now doing away with this, which is too bad.

<<Edited by moderator to clarify what chain the poster was talking about.>>
me
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

In so cal, the lifestyle stores have the "serving since" signage up.
Pavilions, the new, the unusal, the BEST of everything!
runchadrun
Veteran

Re: Store moniker

Post by runchadrun »

storeliker wrote:On the old board I had started a thread about "Serving since" moniker. I am noticing that with all the Lifestyle remodels they are now doing away with this, which is too bad.
As I posted previously, the Granada Hills Vons not only still has the sign, but they corrected the date to the opening of the original store in the shopping center, not the current replacement store. There's an ongoing Lifestyle remodel down the street in the Mission Hills store (which never had the sign) and I'll keep my eyes open once it's done.
justin karimzad
Veteran

Post by justin karimzad »

The Safeway in Moraga, CA received a lifestyle remodel, but says "serving Moraga since 1965". This seems like the correct date for this exact store (and not just the date Safeway entered Moraga), since there was also a Safeway (now a TJ Maxx) from 1962 in Moraga.
romleys
Veteran

Moraga and Rheem Safeway

Post by romleys »

The current Moraga Safeway was built in 1986. It replaced an older store in the same shopping center which now is a McCaulous clothing store. About 1/2 mile down the road there are two former Safeway stores. One is now the Moraga Post Office and the other is now a TJ Maxx. The Post Office was originally a Clarks Market. Safeway took the store over in December 1958. Then in the early 1960's they moved into what is now the TJ Maxx store. The store remained open until 1985 or 1986 when the current Moraga Safeway location. Originally the area with the Post Office and TJ Maxx was known as Rheem Valley. When "Rheem Valley" lost it's final supermarket the area simply became known as Moraga. (The two towns were founded by seperate people, so the two were not always called Moraga.)
Charles H:)
J-Man
Veteran

Rheem & Moraga

Post by J-Man »

Wow! I can't believe someone else remembers Clarks' Market! We moved to Orinda (on the side of town closest to Moraga) in 1956. There were no supermarkets in Moraga proper (i.e., the area where Moraga Highway-- now Moraga Way--ends). But I remember Clark's in Rheem, and Lucky and Black's at the Orinda crossroads. (This was pre-freeway and BART, of course.)

When the Moraga shopping center was built-- I believe in the mid-60s--I believe Safeway went in there, and Lucky about a block away. And I think they were in Rheem at the same time. Well after I moved out of the area, I recall the Rheem store becoming part of a local chain again. Is there no longer a market in Rheem? (And the original Rheem post office was around the corner on the other side of the shopping center-- near the Rheem Theatre. The Moraga post office was in Moraga proper, I believe. And I used to work at the Orinda post office, located with the replacement Lucky.)