Daly City/Northern San Mateo County

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

justinkarimzad

Post by justinkarimzad »

Regarding former Mayfairs, there's one from 1966 at 1305 S Winchester Blvd in the Westpark Plaza in San Jose that's a Safeway now. There's also the asian Kukjae Market at 2350 Junipero Serra Blvd in Daly City that was a Mayfair at least as far back as the early 1960s.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

justinkarimzad wrote:There's also the asian Kukjae Market at 2350 Junipero Serra Blvd in Daly City that was a Mayfair at least as far back as the early 1960s.
I was given the impression (I can't remember by whom) that the Daly City store also operated as a Safeway very briefly. It would make sense, I guess, since Brentwood took over many of the former Mayfairs and then Safeway bought Brentwood. That would put Safeway there in the early-mid 1980s, I guess.

But again, I don't know that firsthand. It's just something I was told by someone I believed at the time to be pretty trustworthy. It would seem a little redundant for them to keep that store open as a Safeway with the other location a few blocks up the street, where In & Out and Krispy Kreme are now, but stranger things have happened. And I don't know for sure that Brentwood even acquired that location. When I moved to SF, I think Any Mountain Sports was already there.
justin karimzad
Veteran

Post by justin karimzad »

Well a year and a half ago someone definetly mentioned (on the board) that that Mayfair market became a Brentwood. I think he did mention that it was a Safeway briefly, but I'm not certain. I know he said that the market closed up when Safeway opened a big store in Westlake shopping center in the mid to late 80s, so it sounds likely that there was a Safeway connection. The building was vacant until becoming Any Mountain sports store in 1992. This still doesn't explain what happened to that old Safeway down the street...[/quote]
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

I think I was the person who mentioned (on the old board) the Daly City SWYs...

Here are the sites I can think of:

Westlake - current, and in fact only SWY in the city of 107,000 inhabitants. (For comparison, the city I grew up in, South San Francisco, has only 60,000 or so residents, but currently has two Safeways (one in an ex-White Front) and one Pak N Save (former KMart) with a third Safeway location (a block away from PNS, at Westborough Square) closing in 1997 and becoming Pet Club.)

Junipero Serra/87th - the current Kukajae market, former Any Mountain. I wasn't around when it was SWY but I had heard it from a couple of other folks that it was in the early 80s, and I think someone here mentioned it is ex-Brentwood as well.

Washington Street - now demolished and replaced with Krispy Kreme/In-N-Out buildings (I took photos of it as it was being demolished ca. 2002), this Marina was built in the late 1960s I think, as there was a different ramp configuration for the freeway in a 1950s photo of the area I saw at Seton Hospital. Before its demolition, it was a furniture store, and before that, a liquor store.

Southgate/St. Francis (St. Francis Square) - Marina with wings design, which has been Pacific Super, an Asian supermarket, since the late 80s I think. (Pacific Super has the bizarrely designed market on Alemany in SF, and my dad told me that the ex-QFI/Bell in South San Francisco is becoming Pacific Super as well.) My parents and I used to go there a lot to shop. Shopping center mostly features Chinese/Filipino-oriented businesses now, but I do wonder what occupied the other buildings there when it still was a Safeway.

The 2630 Bayshore Boulevard marina (which I just posted photos of, in its current incarnation) in San Francisco straddled the county line, part of the parking lot might be in Daly City.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

And speaking of Pacific Super, here's two photos of that Daly City ex-Safeway location:

http://theignatianperspective.blogspot. ... rt-ii.html

My parents just told me it was Safeway up into the early 90s, but considering that I remember it as Pacific Super as early as 1991, I doubt it.

Apparently the shopping center was once owned by a former mayor of Manila, explaining the shift to more Asian-themed stores from the mid-80s on.
justin karimzad
Veteran

Actually, I think the Washington st. Daly City Safeway was built sometime closer to 1959, though I can't confirm it. First of all, based on my observations of the architectural and engineering evolution of the Safeways in the San Francisco Bay Area from this period, the streetlights in the parking lot (which were still the original) and the marina design with windows along the top of the back wall as well brought my guess closer to 1960, since mid to late 1960s Safeways in the area (such as the Saint Francis Square Safeway) had more contemporary looking streetlights, and none from that era that I've seen had the original Marina design with the rear windows. Also, I ran into a record of many of the buildings that the architectural firm Wurster, Bernardi and Emmons designed (including many Safeways in the San Francisco Bay Area) that has their dates of design and/or construction, though it generally only gives city names, and not exact location. It listed one Daly City Safeway as at 1958, which I am guessing is the Washington St. location, and which bumped my original guess of 1960 to about a year after 1958 as the actual date of completion (because there weren't any Safeways with the true Marina design before 1959, and because of other patterns I've picked up on the list; i.e. the Safeway in Millbrae, CA was listed as 1961, but I confirmed that it opened between May 1962 and April 1963. Then again, the Safeway in Burlingame, CA was listed as 1955, and I confirmed that it opened in April 1955. These dates are confusing and perhaps not in a fixed pattern, I know). The aforementioned list listed the date of Saint Francis Square (listed under Barton Development Co.) as 1961-67.
Anyway, the document can be found on this page, by clicking on the link "Project Index";
http://www.ced.berkeley.edu/cedarchives ... urster.htm
Last edited by justin karimzad on 19 Sep 2006 00:28, edited 2 times in total.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

That brings up a good question: was that architectural firm responsible for creating the Marina design in the first place?
justin karimzad
Veteran

Good question, I don't know. Anyway, I realize that I posted the wrong link and I edited my post accordingly.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

Oh yeah, that spreadsheet mentions that drawings are available for those Safeway designs, as well as some photograhy...are those hiding in the archives somewhere at UC Berkeley?
justin karimzad
Veteran

I suppose they're in the Environmental Design Archives at UC Berkeley, but I've never been there. At the bottom of the page of the link I posted, there's a link for "location" at the bottom of the page that shows maps of the archives' location on campus.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

TheStranger wrote:Oh yeah, that spreadsheet mentions that drawings are available for those Safeway designs, as well as some photograhy...are those hiding in the archives somewhere at UC Berkeley?
The description of the Wurster archive says this:
"There are some gaps in the collection. Large corporate projects, such as the Safeway stores and the Bank of America World Headquarters, are vastly underrepresented in the project files, possibly because the records were retained by the corporate clients."
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

Speaking of the Washington Street marina, I just posted some pictures I took of its demolition in 2001 at Peninsula Stores...

http://dtcwrt.earlracing.com/stores/dc.htm

The site's final days in operation were as "Furniture Warehouse."
Chris Sampang
robsster
Contributor

Post by robsster »

Groceteria wrote:
justinkarimzad wrote:There's also the asian Kukjae Market at 2350 Junipero Serra Blvd in Daly City that was a Mayfair at least as far back as the early 1960s.
I was given the impression (I can't remember by whom) that the Daly City store also operated as a Safeway very briefly. It would make sense, I guess, since Brentwood took over many of the former Mayfairs and then Safeway bought Brentwood. That would put Safeway there in the early-mid 1980s, I guess.

But again, I don't know that firsthand. It's just something I was told by someone I believed at the time to be pretty trustworthy. It would seem a little redundant for them to keep that store open as a Safeway with the other location a few blocks up the street, where In & Out and Krispy Kreme are now, but stranger things have happened. And I don't know for sure that Brentwood even acquired that location. When I moved to SF, I think Any Mountain Sports was already there.
The Mayfair Brentwood on Junipero Serra is pictured on the Mayfair Stores page with the Princilla's Cake Box.

The Safeway on Washington closed in the early 80's prior to Safeway's purchase of Brentwood.[/img]
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

robsster wrote:The Mayfair Brentwood on Junipero Serra is pictured on the Mayfair Stores page with the Princilla's Cake Box.
I'm glad someone's finally coughed up an ID of that store for me. Thanks.

TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

Groceteria wrote:
robsster wrote:The Mayfair Brentwood on Junipero Serra is pictured on the Mayfair Stores page with the Princilla's Cake Box.
I'm glad someone's finally coughed up an ID of that store for me. Thanks.
For comparison, here's the recent photo I took of it as Kukje Market (really wish I had captured it in its REI/Any Mountain days):

http://dtcwrt.earlracing.com/stores/dcfc0053.jpg
Chris Sampang