Pavilions/Santa Monica Boulevard

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

Daniel wrote:
runchadrun wrote: There's also a Ralphs at Beverly Connection and a Bristol Farms on Beverly.
There *used to be* a Ralphs at Beverly Connection...

Photos taken Thursday... The whole center is being redone, so I expect this spot will be redeveloped before long.
Is the Ralphs closed for good? Or, just temporarily?
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

The only information was a handwritten sign on the door that said "SORRY STORE CLOSED". All the Ralphs signage has been removed from the exterior, so I think the store is gone for good.
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

Daniel wrote:The only information was a handwritten sign on the door that said "SORRY STORE CLOSED". All the Ralphs signage has been removed from the exterior, so I think the store is gone for good.
Well I guess that will help the Pavilions that is the topic of this thread! But, I'm surprised I always thought that was a successful Ralphs location.
klkla
Veteran

Re: Pavilions

Post by klkla »

J-Man wrote:
That's cool that you remember the Garden Grove Pavilions. It was the first store in the chain and replaced an existing and very successful old Vons in the same shopping center.

I thought the Monrovia store was the first Pavilions. At least that's what I was led to believe.
If I remember right the first Pavilions was store #204, which i think was in Garden Grove. They converted another builiding in the center, which may have been a Zody's. I think Monrovia might have been the first store built from ground up as a Pavilions, but I don't think it was the first one open to the public.

This happened many years ago and I could be wrong but I'm 90% certain that Gaden Grove was first.
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

klkla wrote:
J-Man wrote:
That's cool that you remember the Garden Grove Pavilions. It was the first store in the chain and replaced an existing and very successful old Vons in the same shopping center.

I thought the Monrovia store was the first Pavilions. At least that's what I was led to believe.
If I remember right the first Pavilions was store #204, which i think was in Garden Grove. They converted another builiding in the center, which may have been a Zody's. I think Monrovia might have been the first store built from ground up as a Pavilions, but I don't think it was the first one open to the public.

This happened many years ago and I could be wrong but I'm 90% certain that Gaden Grove was first.
yes garden grove was the first pavilions store. this store is closed now...it was converted into a vons for a while before closing. this store opened October 1985. if I'm not mistaken, my avatar is the garden grove store.
Last edited by steps on 08 Oct 2006 04:54, edited 1 time in total.
Pavilions, the new, the unusal, the BEST of everything!
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

any pics of the west hollywood store when it was a safeway..? do u remember what style the interior was....?
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

klkla wrote:
Daniel wrote:
runchadrun wrote: There's also a Ralphs at Beverly Connection and a Bristol Farms on Beverly.
There *used to be* a Ralphs at Beverly Connection...

Photos taken Thursday... The whole center is being redone, so I expect this spot will be redeveloped before long.
Is the Ralphs closed for good? Or, just temporarily?
this store was always dead. a few celebs shopped there. the store was a decent size. but the beverly connection was dead too....
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

klkla wrote:
J-Man wrote:

i never understood why it was number 204 and not 200.there isa store 200...and i believe its a pavilions.

culver city is a great store also...perfect size and always busy! i think this store was one of the first stores to be tested with a lifestyle type format....since it looks lifestyle with slight differences. this store also has EVERYTHING (panda express, wells fargo bank, pharmacy, starbucks)

the last pavilions i worked at before i left the company was store 213. west la. this store made great money for the area when it opened (around 400,000) then dropped to about 250,000 when the 2 ralphs got remodeled into fresh fares. Ive noticed the pavilions building are much more unique looking then a vons.
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

steps wrote:any pics of the west hollywood store when it was a safeway..? do you remember what style the interior was....?
No pics.

The interior started with an earthtone package that was standard for Safeways at the time. Just plane white walls with big lettering in italics announcing the departments. It also had the green canopy around produce with the ceiling painted black and track lighting throughout the department and real wood orchard bins. The lower walls, checkstands and service cases had a light-stained wood paneling on them.

A few years later Safeway changed their interior pakage to one where they painted the walls black and then put brite photos of food shot againt a black backround over the walls and trimed it with a red neon stripe. The departments also had neon signage. This is my favorite Safeway interior of all time. They put a modified version in the West Hollywood store which was basically just the photos of the food but without the neon stripe or the black walls. It looked OK but didn't have the punch of the prototype.

The exterior is still almost exactly as Safeway left it. The only thing Vons did was paint the building and switch names.
steps wrote:i never understood why it was number 204 and not 200.there isa store 200...and i believe its a pavilions.
The stores are numbered in the order they are developed, not the order they open. Because it was opening in an existing structure they were probably able to open it faster than a new build. At the time Vons only had about 180 stores and they decided to start numbering Pavilions with 200 (When I left stores 200-239 were all Pavilions).

steps wrote:the last pavilions i worked at before i left the company was store 213. west la. this store made great money for the area when it opened (around 400,000) then dropped to about 250,000 when the 2 ralphs got remodeled into fresh fares. Ive noticed the pavilions building are much more unique looking then a vons.
One of my best friends was key carrier at 213 (that's Wilshire & Barrington right?) for a couple of years. A little trivia: That location was originally a supermarket. I think it was a Market Basket and then a Ralphs. But the owners decided to build that gigantic office builing on the lot and Ralphs gave up the property. Vons went in and built a nice store there but I think the parking has always been an issue. People in Califoriia do not want to take an elevator up to the grocery store and there are not enough spaces in front.
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

hmmm...i knew a customer at that store that had been living in the area for years....she told me there was a store there by the name of Flagship?(or something like that) i dont remember the exact name, but i dont remember her ever sayin it was a ralphs or market basket...i could be wrong tho. This market is in a decent area. Its not really a shopping area. We made most of our money at lunch.

Barrington and Wilshire opened in 1989 if my memory is correct. There has been talks of this store closing next year since the lease is up (and yes they have the worst parking they are sharing 20 parking spaces with about 8 businesses). Now that i think about the Pavilions decor after Safeway took over looked better then the plain white.
greebs
Contributor

Post by greebs »

The Pavillions store in Garden Grove was built as a Zodys, the first of the chain, back in 1960. It closed late 1984, and opened up as a Pavillions in October 1985.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

Some news on the replacement Weho Pavilions store from Curbed LA:
Commenter Formosa filled us in last week on the plans for the Pavilions in Weho: "Pavilions just received approval from the Planning Commission to demo the old store to make way for a brand new store along with additional retail. Before they demo the old store, they are actually going to put up a temporary one so they don't lose business...I guess it will be a giant tent type of thing." We received the image of the new Pavilions from a reader (pictured above) of the proposed store. Apparently, in the future, West Hollywood is never sunny.
The referenced picture is at http://la.curbed.com/uploads/2007_11_we ... ilions.jpg
The new store will be 52,000 sq ft with an 11,000 sq foot building on the corner with other retail. There was some dispute in an earlier post on Curbed over whether a temporary store was indeed going to be built. I was reading the docs from the planning commission and the new store will have rooftop parking, not underground parking as was reported here earlier. I was hanging out with a member of the Weho city council last week but it wasn't a situation where I could start asking him store geek questions so the next time I see him and it's a convenient time, I'll see if he knows any of these answers.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

I went into that store not long ago, and did find it funny that where the store expanded from the original gable safeway, the ground is uneven and the columns that hold up the roof are different from the rest of the store.
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

OMG! That will be there prettiest store and busiest store EVER! I can't wait till it's built! It's a shame tho the old Safeway building is being tore down!
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

That's exciting! This store has needed some attention for a while and this looks like a very nice plan.