1959 Chain Store Age piece on Marina Safeway

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

TheStranger
Veteran

1959 Chain Store Age piece on Marina Safeway

Post by TheStranger »

Pages 182 and 183 of the October 1959 edition of CSA...in many ways, the idea behind this particular store was echoed years later with the "lifestyle" concept (and the Marina store would be referenced in the CSA 1965 article on the Safeway International concept being used in Washington DC). Also, the talk of why the store received its familiar design is intriguing, specifically how the glass front came into being.

What I DO wonder is where that high-end "silk stocking" store in NYC (referenced early in this article) was located. (One of my CSA finds today was that the NY division also included a few Northern New Jersey stores! I'll put up a location list of 1959 NYC/NJ builds later...also found out there was a St. Louis division but I don't have much info on that.)

Chris Sampang
J-Man
Veteran

Menu

Post by J-Man »

That menu is a real hoot! It has '50s/June Cleaver/Donna Reed written all over it. Frozen Bel-Air Peach Pie. Apricot Nectar and Lime Sherbet. And, my favorite: "Special Herb Salad." I can only imagine what someone today would think of with that name. Sounds like something from the Cheech and Chong Cookbook.
TheStranger
Veteran

Re: Menu

Post by TheStranger »

J-Man wrote: Frozen Bel-Air Peach Pie.
Bel-Air was one of the old store brands of Safeway until about the early 90s...but...if you're preparing a meal for someone, would you really want to tell them you're using frozen store brand pie? ;)
Chris Sampang
J-Man
Veteran

Store Brands

Post by J-Man »

I'm 54 and was born and raised in the Bay Area, so believe me, I remember Bel-Air, Empress, Town House, Truly Fine, Lucerne, etc. (And Lady Lee, Harvest Day, etc.) I'm sure I ate my share of Bel-Air frozen pies in my day.
TheStranger
Veteran

Re: Store Brands

Post by TheStranger »

J-Man wrote:I'm 54 and was born and raised in the Bay Area, so believe me, I remember Bel-Air, Empress, Town House, Truly Fine, Lucerne, etc. (And Lady Lee, Harvest Day, etc.) I'm sure I ate my share of Bel-Air frozen pies in my day.
I wonder though if you ever went to a family house party with the Bel-Air pie as the centerpiece. :D
Chris Sampang
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

Instead of being served frozen pies, I'm more bothered that the Donna Reed homemaker of the 50s might be serving chocolate covered grasshoppers and catterpillars, and kangaroo tail soup.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

runchadrun wrote:Instead of being served frozen pies, I'm more bothered that the Donna Reed homemaker of the 50s might be serving chocolate covered grasshoppers and catterpillars, and kangaroo tail soup.
Actually, that reminds me: After I made the photocopy of this article (and many others), I showed it to a friend on the way back to my apartment. She was also repulsed by the thought of kangaroo tail soup and chocolate covered insects!

And we haven't even gotten into "alligator soup" yet.

What's strange is, although the Safeway International article talks about "exotic" foods and "bringing the concept to the Marina store," none of the stuff in there (plaintains!) sounds anything as, well, off-the-wall as what was being offered at Marina in 1959.

I do wonder if the home economist at the booth suggested those items to advice-seekers...I almost hope not. But if that was the case, it'd be damn funny...
Chris Sampang
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

The big New York area chains often had stores in NJ and some had their warehouses and HQs there: A&P and Grand Union, for example. Shop-Rite also has had a NJ base. It's probably easier to source many of the northern NY sububs from NJ than from Long Island. First National operated there after they bought the Safeway stores in NY.

The "Silk Stocking" district historically refers to the Upper East Side of Mnahattan, near the Park.

How long did they last in St. L? It sort of makes sense they would have tried there--N of Little Rock, and E of KC, where they had significant presences. My guess is that they couldn't compete with Schnuck, plus they had National, Kroger, Allied, and A & P competing for their middle of the road customer.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

The Safeway St. Louis and environs discussion has been split and moved here:

http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=870
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

Very cool articles! Is this location still open??
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Daniel wrote:Very cool articles! Is this location still open??
If you mean the location shown in the original article at the beginning of the thread, yes. It's at 15 Marina Boulevard in San Francisco. It's been expanded, and the interior has been remodeled a few times, but it still has its Marina facade. The murals have been relocated to the side of the store.

Photos:
http://www.groceteria.com/safeway/slide ... sf/01.html
justin karimzad
Veteran

Post by justin karimzad »

Legend has it that when the Marina Safeway was being constructed, neighbors vowed to burn the store to the ground as soon as it was completed and its shelves were stocked. They were angry that the store blocked their view of a turn-of-the-century gas house that was behind the store, and the murals were put in to pacify them.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

justin karimzad wrote:Legend has it that when the Marina Safeway was being constructed, neighbors vowed to burn the store to the ground as soon as it was completed and its shelves were stocked. They were angry that the store blocked their view of a turn-of-the-century gas house that was behind the store, and the murals were put in to pacify them.
Is that "gas house" you're referring to...the old cylindrical building behind the Marina Safeway that was there when it was built (and is long gone now)?
Chris Sampang
justin karimzad
Veteran

Post by justin karimzad »

TheStranger wrote:Is that "gas house" you're referring to...the old cylindrical building behind the Marina Safeway that was there when it was built (and is long gone now)?
I assume so. For those that haven't seen it;
http://home.comcast.net/~evchathaway/ws ... 28533.html
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

Found a couple of blurbs on the Marina store in the April 1961 issue of Chain Store Age, in the article "Prestige stores: why the growing experiment?"

Page 58:
The food chains are taking an increasing number of adventures into prestige stores.
Similar to conventional supermarkets in name only, prestige stores are traded-up in both exterior and interior design and fittings.
Safeway's Marina unit in the San Francisco Bay Area boasts a mosaic tile front.
Page 59:
Building and equipment costs are at a premium in prestige stores. Estimates made by Chain Store Age show that a prestige store will cost anywhere from $2-8 more per square foot for building and equipment, depending on how lavish a chain wants its prestige store to be.
Are prestige stores worth the extra money? "It depends on the area," is the candid comment of one chain executive. "If we plan to build a store in a high income neighborhood where the customers buy their food in specialty shops, we've got to build a prestige store to do maximum business."

Prestige stores give the chain a chance to trade up into premium goods.

Prestige stores also provide the chain with a showcase store. Customers visiting the store carry home a quality image. Safeway operates seven prestige stores in its Northern California Division. The chain's executives believe that its prestige stores expand the chain's overall quality image."
This begs the question which seven Safeways (other than 15 Marina) in 1961 were "prestige" oriented - I'm pretty sure Safeway had build at least 20-30 marina-prototype stores by then, so it couldn't have been merely any store with the arch roof going on.
Chris Sampang